The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thornbridge Jaipur IPA - yeast? Hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
ChillWill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Right, VERY rough conversion of the recipe on the JIM'S beer kit to 5 US gallons with a pre-boil of 6 gallons (in reality I'm not sure what your boiloff will be so you'll have to adjust that), and efficiency of 75%.

OG: 1.064, FG 1.016

Malt:
Maris Otter: 10lb
Vienna: 1.16lb

Hops:
0.27oz Ahtanum (5%) 75min
0.32oz Centennial (10.1%) 75 Min
0.27oz Warrior (15.8%) 75 Min
0.27oz Ahtanum (5%) @ 45 Min
0.32oz Centennial (10.1%) @ 45 Min
0.27oz Chinook (12.7%) @ 45 Min
0.95oz Ahtanum (5%) @ 0 Min
1.27oz Centennial (10.1%) @ 0 Min
1.27oz Chinook (12.7%) @ 0 Min

I'm not sure what temperature you'll want to mash at, that recipe has 152.6F, I'm sure 152-154F would be sufficient. I'll leave the temp/yeast to you, any neutral yeast will do, WLP001 has been suggested in that recipe which you can't really go wrong with.

If you've tried the real deal you'll probably be aware that an FG of 1.016 is too high so you might want to make some changes to bring it down; either drop the mash temp or cut back on your malt so you don't end up with a 7%er (Jaipur is 5.9%)

Also, feel free to simplify / round the hop amounts and make adjustments to the hops to bring out what you can taste. If someone has experience of using the aroma hops in differing quantities maybe they can chime in... to me, the aroma hop quantities look a bit excessive for a 5.9% IPA?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Thanks ChillWill!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
Nugent
Session ale enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Cheers again, ChillWill.

Thanks for the advice. It's great when pro brewers are willing to guide homebrewers with recipes and techniques. There are a number of brewers on this side of the pond that have done the same. I've found that it has meant more beer sales (from me at least) when I try to mimick their beers. Quality assurance purposes, of course.

As for water, Vancouver has nearly pure water, mineral-wise, with a fairly high pH (>6). Very similar to Portland, Oregon's water. Some adjustments would probably be necessary to get closer.

Thanks for you help and keep making such amazing ales. Will look for other Thornbridge beers over here.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
ChillWill
Recipes 

Just out of interest how much does a bottle of Jaipur retail at over there (1 pint 0.9 fluid oz right?)

Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
Nugent
Session ale enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yep, that's the volume.

I paid $6.85 CDN, which is about 4 pounds 30. Mind you, that's from a private liquor store who has to buy it from the government distributor and adds a mark up. My guess is that if it was sold at the government shops, it would be more like $5.50+ instead. A pint of craft ale in a pub here is that much at least.

I saw the St. Petersburg RIS at another shop, but it was the last bottle and was in someone's hand at the till.

Cheers.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
ChillWill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
As for water, Vancouver has nearly pure water, mineral-wise, with a fairly high pH (>6). Very similar to Portland, Oregon's water. Some adjustments would probably be necessary to get closer.
Sounds like your water is ok to me so I wouldn't worry about it unless you're fairly confident on the subject. In Bakewell where the brewery is, the water is also very soft and minerals deficient with a pH pretty close to 7 (probably some of the softest water in the country). Some Gypsum might help if you're particularly low on sulphates to make the biterness more refined and accentuate the hop flavour, but unless you have a water report I wouldn't advise adding anything.

And no worries on the advice! I actually only got into craft beer thanks to a year long internship in a craft beer bar in Rochester, NY in 2008, which then lead to learning how to homebrew mostly off this site about 14 months ago, which then prompted me to get in touch with a few breweries for work experience etc until I scored a job at Thornbridge last year. So I'm just paying back the community

Edit: St Petersberg is pretty popular but I'm not a fan of it. It has peat smoked malt in it which I don't find appealing in a RIS (one of my favourite styles), maybe a bit odd as I love Islay single malt scotch which is very heavy on the peaty/smokey flavours.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
Nugent
Session ale enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Sounds good. Thanks a lot.

Have been planning on putting something together in the next few weeks, and will chime back with my process and results. Happily, I have the real thing to compare to.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

ChillWill, is WLP001 the right yeast to use? Thanks!

I think Jaipur is very expensive here in US. I bought some (got local craft store to start carrying) and it was steep... But sold out immediately. I can get you retail price in a few days time!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
ChillWill
Recipes 

Wlp001 will be fine, or US05 for dried or wyeast 1056. You could even use Nottingham or the san Diego super yeast.

It's fairly pricey here, but then all beer is in the UK, I can't believe how cheap you can get a lot of craft beers over there. I was pretty disappointed by the price and lack of choice when I moved back from that side of the pond. The first thing I actually tried that was anywhere near an American IPA was Jaipur a couple of months after being back, now a few year later I making it!

Old 03-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
Nugent
Session ale enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It's the same in Canada with the price of booze.

Beer is very expensive as alcohol is very heavily taxed to help pay for all of our social programs. A six pack of the same craft beer is at least 40% more expensive at government shops than in the United States. At private beer shops in Vancouver, it's 60% more!

Here's a good example of taxation between the three countries: I went to the Macallan Distillery in Scotland in 2009. A bottle of Cask Strength was 51 pounds (~$82 USD) at the distillery. Meant to buy one, but opted to try and get one at Heathrow instead. They didn't have it; pi$$ed off. Anyway, looked in Vancouver - $120.00 CND! In Point Roberts, Washington - which is a small community directly south of Vancouver - $60.00 USD. So ... it's cheaper thousands of kilometers away than it is at the distillery. Wow.

Not going to complain too much. My wife just went through a medical procedure during which the drugs alone would have cost ten grand in the US without insurance. No extra cost besides higher taxes here.

Quick Reply