Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thinking up a barleywine recipie...opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
Chaos_Being
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thinking up a barleywine recipie...opinions?

A few weeks ago I started a thread (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=55515) about some ideas I had concerning "jazzing up" a barleywine kit from NB. Since then though, they increased the prices of their kits, and my LHBS (which I was planning to use to supply some of the extra hops I wanted to use) is now out of exactly those hops I was interested in So, in light of all this, I think I am just going to start from scratch and make my own recipie. I did some thinking today, and some looking around to see what hops are available where, and came up with a new plan. Luckily, Austin HB still has a halfway decent selection of hops...

I've had a few beers lately that had a lot of American "C" hops in them which I've really enjoyed, so I think I'm going to shoot for an American barleywine (maybe a little less hoppy than some, but in the same spirt. Citrusy and floral.)

Here's what I'm thinking of so far:

Goblin Rocket Fuel- American Barleywine

Steeping Grains:
1 lb Crystal 60
1/2 lb Special B

Fermentables:
13 lbs Munich LME (described as 20% Munich, 80% two-row)
2 lbs Turbinado sugar

Hops:
1/2 oz Nugget (60min)
1 oz Columbus (60 min)
2 oz Amarillo (20 and 5 min)
1 oz Cascade (20 min)

Yeast:
2 packages S-05, additional yeast added at bottling

Steep grains in 2 gallons of 160F water for 30 minutes, sparge with 1/2 gallon of water of the same temp. Add 3 lbs of LME, and bring to a boil. Once a boil is achieved, add the .5oz of Nugget, and 1 oz of Columbus. 40 minutes later, add 1 oz of Amarillo and 1 oz of Cascade. 5 minutes after that, add the rest of the LME (10 lbs) and bring back to a boil. Add 1 oz of Amarillo with 5 minutes left in the boil. Chill, add water up to 4.5 gallons, and pitch yeast. A few days later (just as fermentation is starting to slow,) bring 1/2 gallon of water to a boil, and dissolve the 2 lbs of Turbinado sugar into it. Chill, and add to the primary fermenter. Let it ferment in the primary for 3-4 weeks, then transfer to secondary for a few months of bulk aging. Bottle with fresh yeast (probably more S-05) in the bottling bucket.

If anyone is wondering about the seemingly funky addition of Nugget, I just happen to have a half ounce of it sitting around, and I'd like to use it I'm also using the late extract method to increase hop utilization- color is secondary, as barleywines are supposed to be a little dark. I'm guessing this one will turn out to be a very dark red/brown color. I've also put the wort "step up" in the plan to avoid having a really high OG, as I'm worried that so many fermentables would just choke the yeast. I'm not entirely sure if I need to do this, but it makes sense to me anyways.

Thoughts?

Bottled: Hrothgar Hefe, OktoberFast Ale, Irish Stout, Dopplebock, Schwarzbier
Bottled/Aging: Oaked Concord Wine, Sweet Mead, Raspberry Melomel
Up Next: American Amber, Goblin Rocket Fuel 2.0, Red Rye Ale, Imperial Stout, etc...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

It looks like a pretty good recipe to me, but I might split up the 2 oz. of Amarillo to 30 minutes and 5 minutes and move the cascade to 15 minutes. I think Nugget will work well in this beer.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Last edited by Professor Frink; 03-20-2008 at 07:50 AM.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Chaos_Being
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was actually thinking if I should move one of my hop additions to 30 minutes myself...hmm, I may do that instead. Thanks for the feedback.

Up Next: American Amber, Goblin Rocket Fuel 2.0, Red Rye Ale, Imperial Stout, etc...

Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
Chaos_Being
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, the ingredients have been ordered!

Also, on a whim today, I decided that I'm going to brew up another "session" ale to drink while my two big brews age. It's going to be a fairly simply American Amber ale (6lbs light DME, 1lb Crystal 60, 0.5lb Carapils, 2oz Cascade, and S-05 yeast.) Note the yeast choice- I'm going to use this beer to make a nice, big, yeast cake for my barleywine to be racked onto I'll probably start the Amber this weekend, rack it to secondary next weekend, and then start the barleywine then. With that much yeast, I really may not have to worry about incremental feeding...I can probably just put all of my malt and sugars in at once I would think. Am I right?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:46 AM   #5
Chaos_Being
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The big starter...I mean, the amber ale was brewed today After a string of malty and/or lightly hopped beers, I'm actually kind of looking forwards to something with some hop flavor and aroma. Funny, because I didn't like that sort of beer not all that long ago...

Old 03-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
TouchOfGrey
Recipes 

Question from a novice. In your recipe are you adding yeast to the fermenter right before the bottling instead of priming sugar? Just had my first barleywine the other day (Sierra Nevada Bigfoot). I live in Alabama and as you may or may not know we are currently trying to change our ABV laws. Our current limit is 6% ABV which means I can't get a lot of decent beer without driving to Georgia. I was thinking of brewing a barleywine and found your recipe, which I may use as a guideline to construct my own. Just a bunch of background info but ya I was just wondering if that yeast was replacing the priming sugar and what do you think your final ABV will be with this recipe?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Chaos_Being
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No problem, I'm not too far past novice-dom yet myself as I started brewing last October...however, I read A LOT

The extra yeast will be added in addition to the priming sugar when I bottle- the idea is, that after fermenting such a big beer, the yeast will be pretty worn out and won't be able to carbonate the beer in the bottle. So, you add some fresh yeast along with the priming sugar into the bottling bucket.

I don't have brewing software yet, so I can't really say how strong it will be, but I can pretty safely say it's going to be 10% or more. I saw recently someone who brewed a barleywine with a similar recipe (same amount of fermentables- 13lb LME, and 2 lb of dextrose,) and he got just over 13%.

On a side note, after finally getting to try SN Bigfoot myself last week (and finding it to be a bit heavy on the bitter side, and lighter on the flavor/aroma side,) I'm re-thinking the idea/suggestion of having a full 1oz hop addition at 30 minutes. I'm currently thinking of doing my hop schedule this way:

0.5 oz Nugget @ 60min
1 oz Colubus @ 60 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 30 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 20 min
1 oz Cascade @ 15 min
1 oz Amarillo @ 5 min

I'm thinking that will still leave me with a good level of bitterness to go with the huge amount of malt I'm using, but balance more towards hop aroma/flavor. Sort of like my experience with Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA- I liked how it had a ton of hop flavor/aroma, but not as much raw bitterness as I've tasted in other IPA's (and, as I said, that I tasted in SN Bigfoot.)

Old 03-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

how long are you going to age this beer in secondary, and then in the bottle.

i personally would forgo any hop additions after 30 min, especially in these jacked up hop times, but i let my bw age at least a year before i start drinking them. most of the hop flavor/aroma is well gone by then.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
Chaos_Being
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm planning to age it for at least 2 months in the secondary (most likely,) and then the majority of it (aside from "samples" ) will be aged until December. I'm planning on having this available at my New Years Eve party, and whatever doesn't get drunken then (which will probably be a lot of it,) will continue to age for an indeterminate amount of time- aka, until it all gets drinken

I'm open to any sort of feedback on my hopping schedule or aging time that you, or anyone else, may have.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #10
TouchOfGrey
Recipes 

well friend, I believe now that April has arrived and I have new income I'm going to go ahead and start this recipe myself as well. I may change a few things as far as hops because I do enjoy a bitter beer, but its good to get the gist from ya... I have been reading a lot as well, I'm reading Papazian's book right now, and I joined this forum to learn as much as I can and come to find that I do in fact have a LOT to learn! Speaking of which, I have been trying to search for anything to do with the "yeast cake" you spoke of earlier so I wouldn't have to bother you with explaining it to me, but I couldn't find anything and it seems to be some sort of important technique. Let me know what you can if you will Thanks!

Quick Reply