The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thinking of making a Strong Ale (extract)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #1
Shmohel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thinking of making a Strong Ale (extract)

As the week winds down, I am thinking of beginning my next batch of beer. I was thinking of making a real strong English ale. I have been browsing around, and have settled upon the grains I am going to use.

3 lb 2-row
1 lb Munich
1 lb 60L
1 lb Cara-pils
1 lb Wheat
lots o' extract

However, I am not too sure what kind of Hops I want to use. I have bene looking at different recipes, and I have seen all sorts being used. Any suggestions? What kinds would you usually associate with the Strong Ale style?

----- ahop -----
http://www.recipetavern.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
Shmohel
Recipes 

Wow. that is a good article, may have me rethinking some of my ideas. I have never started a yeast like that in the manner described in the article.

This is going to be a fun project!

----- ahop -----
http://www.recipetavern.com

Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 PM   #4
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeast starters rock! I went for years without going to the 'trouble' of making them. Now, I won't brew without first making one. They jump-start the fermentation. I usually see activity in the primary fermenter within a few hours. Before I made starters, it would usually take 24 hrs! And, like the article states, they are really needed for high-gravity brews.

Here's a good thread on starters from a few days ago: Starters!

Quick Reply