Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thinking of making a nelson sauvin ipa

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
QuaffableQuips
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Nelson Sauvin features fairly prominently in Shift lager from New Belgium. If you can sample one alongside a Sierra Nevada pale ale palate cleanser, that unmistakably fruity component in the Shift is your Nelson contribution.

I made an all-Nelson hopbursted wit last spring. There was no 60 minute addition, I just added something like 2-4 ounces of Nelson in the last 15 minutes. But because of the high AA% I still got a fair amount of bitterness (albeit a very soft, round bitterness). And then I dry hopped it with another ounce or two of Nelson for a week or so.

Man, it was something unique. It didn't taste like any beer I've ever had, more like a fizzy, hazy juice of grapes and berries. It ended up being quite a refreshing summertime beer, but I probably wouldn't go with so many late additions again. Next time around I would do a traditional bittering charge with something like Warrior or Chinook and then use the Nelson sparingly as a flavor hop. And maybe dry hop with a blend of Nelson and something citrusy.

I would definitely encourage you to do a single hop Nelson beer, though, especially if you've never tried the hop before! It has such a unique and unmistakable flavor and aroma. But remember, a little Nelson goes a looooong way.

Keep us posted!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
Mr_Pear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah I used WLP 029 near the upper end of its recommended temp at 68 degrees. I ended up using 2oz each of citra and NS for dry hopping(4oz total). I did 1oz each for 3 days added another 1oz of each and dry hopped for another 3 days then kegged.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #23
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I make an IPA using Nelson Sauvin that uses Pacific Gem for bittering. It makes a wonderful combination.

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #24
frailn
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I agree with skipping the bittering hop on a Nelson Sauvin brew. I have made two different batches of american wheat using a half ounce of Williamette at 20 and half ounce at 5 minutes, then an ounce of Nelson at flame out and dry hop for two weeks with an ounce.

I think the flavors and aroma of the Nelson shine by skipping a 60 minute bittering hop.

Had the wife try a sample when I bottled the last batch. She said, this tastes like pineapple. I was getting mango. It's a very interesting hop to say the least.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #25
SpencerSZ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just brewed an IPA with lots of Nelson Sauvin this morning. I really love Alpine Brewing's Nelson IPA, it doesn't really make it out of San Diego but if you get a chance try it.

5.5 Gallon Batch
9.5# 2 Row
1.5# Munich 10
.5# Crystal 15
1# Sugar

Mash at 150 for 60 minutes

1oz Columbus FWH
1oz Columbus 30 min
5oz Nelson at KO
5oz Nelson Dry Hop

US-05 at 66 degrees

First batch in ~6 months and my efficiency hasn't suffered, it came in at 1.072 so it might be more boozy than I'd like.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #26
Hop_Hero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a single hop Nelson Sav Saison from a buddy and it was amazing! I also had a pale ale with NS and I got pineapple as well. Both homebrews.

Primary: Belgian Wit
Secondary: Nada
Bottled: Arrogant Butthole, Arrogant Butthole on Oak and Chinook, Rebel Red (West Coast Red)
Next: Barley Wine

Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #27
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Anchor's Humming Ale is one of my top ten. Sufficient bite with a succulent fruitiness. I had heard its all NS, but I do not know.

Quick Reply