Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thinking of adding mugwort to my beer??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #21
fredthecat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 90

nice thread about mugwort with rough amounts for use. i want to make some mugwort beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #22
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarzBock View Post
Sounds interesting... are you still going to use hops anyway? You might have problems keeping it sanitary if you don't use ANY hops (bacteria will get in there and make it a sour).
this is simply not true. hops are not exclusive in their ability to stave off lacto and or pedio, etc. shoot, I have a particular strain of lacto that seems to have infested my house that could care less about the level of IBU's in my beers.

anyway...

mugwort is more or less wormwood, ( a particular variety of it, but wormwood none the less.),. mugwort can be VERY bitter. It is best to pick it when it is relatively young, for as with most greens... as the heat of summer sets in they tend to bolt and become QUITE bitter. I am in the philly area and mugwort grows like crazy around here.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
Wulfman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsyFlanootsy View Post

anyway...

mugwort is more or less wormwood, ( a particular variety of it, but wormwood none the less.),. mugwort can be VERY bitter. It is best to pick it when it is relatively young, for as with most greens... as the heat of summer sets in they tend to bolt and become QUITE bitter. I am in the philly area and mugwort grows like crazy around here.
Im not sure how fresh the mugwort was.. It was from an herbal lady who has tons of jars of dried herbs at a farmers market... im assuming the jars have been sitting a while.. soo i can say they were not fresh.. Hmm i wonder where i can get some local fresh mugwort or if it even grows here..research time!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #24
Djanvk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just got done brewing a "Hopless Ale" with Mugwort, Lavender and Anise in it, smells really good but It's only fermenting right now so now sure of the taste.

"Want a Beer?"
"I've been known to." -Father In Law

Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #25
Wulfman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djanvk View Post
I just got done brewing a "Hopless Ale" with Mugwort, Lavender and Anise in it, smells really good but It's only fermenting right now so now sure of the taste.
Sounds like an interesting mix, let us know how it works out

Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #26
supermoth
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Wulfman, mugwort is very common in northern California. You can probably also get a plant from a native plants nursery (I've got one in my backyard!). Seeing as how you started wondering about this months ago, you might have already found this out, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #27
Wulfman
Recipes 

I didn't know that. Are there different types in Cali or any variety is good? Thanks for the info

Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #28
supermoth
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The main species that grows in California is Artemisia vulgaris. It is pretty common, and I see it when walking around wet or riparian areas. There are many, many species of Artemisia, including the sagebrushes and wormwoods. Apparently, mugwort does not have the bitter oil (thujone?) of wormwood, but it still has a lot of aromatic properties.

I have also read of an east coast species of mugwort whose flavor and aroma are mellower than what grows here. It was likely introduced from Europe, which means it was likely the mugwort that was used in brewing in Europe before the days of hops. I'm sure you can use the California mugwort in brewing, you just might have to experiment with the amount and go lightly at first.

This thread is old now... have you done any brewing with mugwort yet? I'm sure you've seen this recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/mugw...l-stout-90441/

It hasn't made it to the front of my brew queue yet, but I've been curious about it for a while.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 AM   #29
Wulfman
Recipes 

Cool, thanks for the info. I hike occasionally and ill keep an eye out when I do. Yes I have used it for a brew or two. I used it very lightly and it went a long way.. and I learned to used it in the very end of boil. A bit herby but decent.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
glugglug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

My wife wants me to try a mugwor beer. We would use it fresh, so I'm wondering how best to tackle it. I think OP used dried mugwort. I would maybe use it in a wheat beer, or a light pale ale.

I am brewing a wheat beer tomorrow that I am going to split in 2 3 gallon batches. One will have watermelon, but I could add the mugwort to the other half. I don't want to change the brew recipe, but I could make a tea and add it to secondary. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply