Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thick...Syrupy...sludgy...STOUT!!! How to get it!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
h4rdluck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default Thick...Syrupy...sludgy...STOUT!!! How to get it!!

Ok, so i've been brewing a while now...a little over a year. I've made almost 20 batches. They are all starting to come out rather nice finally. They were all drinkable...but 3-4 that i expiramented with were not so much fun

Anyway. I want that sludgy stout. and I want it bad. I've made enough of these light stouts...I've made syrupy beer before but it happened when my yeast died and the beer didn't attenuate past 1028-1030. Anyway plenty of mistakes along the way..but I want that thick syrup that you find in say Many Imperial Stouts / Brooklyn Double Choclate Stout / Founders Backwoods bastard bourbon barrel stout / ect ect....

So far it seems like MALTODEXTRIN is a key ingrediant I have been missing out on to create the desired effect.

What I want to know is....is this really the key? I've done some minimashes with oatmeal...and yes it "increases body" but not the way I was thinking.

How can I make a thick dark stout...something that really feels like breakfast in a bottle? Obviously it means lots of unfermentables...but I just can't seem to find alot of information on this...

Who wants to help a brother out.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 03:53 AM   #2
jmick
Recipes 

you're right on track. The goal is to increase the amount of unfermentable sugars in the final beer. Maltodextrin is great for this. Flaked oats, Flaked Barley, Carapils, and Crystal malts will add body as well. Be careful with the crystal, so that you don't end up too sweet.

Also make sure you are mashing a little higher and you can use a less attenuative yeast.

Upcoming Brews: IIPA, SMaSH, Black IPA

Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How sweet do you want it? How much alcohol?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
permo
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Oats and a higher mash temp. I am not a huge fan of using a ton of caramel malts in a stout. I have been known to use up to 2 pounds of oats in a 6 gallon batch.

10 pound two row
2 pound oats
8 oz chocolate malt
6 oz crystal 120
4 oz roasted barley

this alone would get you a nice chewy stout.....mash this hummer at 155 and try out some less attenuative english yeast. I think a yeast like notty or US-05 is going to eat up more of the body of the beer than a yeast like S-04.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #5
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I thinken mine up by using 4oz of Carapils. If you want it sweet, 6 or 8oz of lactose will thicken it too.

And run your minimash around 155F. It creates more unfermentables, which also makes it thicker.

If I lived near a beach, I'd drink beer and look at the beach every day.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You say you've done some minimashes... You need to take the reigns and go all grain! You'll get more control of the body of the beer when doing full mashes. Remember - most extracts are made for a mid-level amount of body. And, I think you could go higher than 155 if you wanted. I usually stick between 148 and 154 myself, but I was just listening to CYBI last night and Lagunitas mashes their IPA at 160! crazy...

Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
lyacovett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did one, my masehd ended up at 158 - 159, and I just let it go. My OG was 1.065 I think, and FG at 1.019. Definitely a thick beer. Turned out pretty well. If you want to do a PM, I would get as much grain in it as possible, and mash close to that 160 mark, that could get you pretty close, also lots of dark crystal and chocolate helps.

Quick Reply