Thick Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielJint

Reaction score
It's time to make my first stout, most of the recipes i found seems a bit light for my taste. I like my stouts as thick and tarry as possible, i want it to explode in my mouth with flavour.

I'm looking to make something with chocolate and chocolate extract at bottling as well as vanilla and coffee. But how do i get my stout as thick as possible and absolutely filled with flavour? Should i use deal dark chocolate after boiling and then extract at bottling? Or is cocoa powder to prefer over real chocolate?

Is dryhopping with coffee beans the way to go?

All grain?

What grains are ideal for this kind of brew? Carafa? Crystal 40? Chocolate malts? Oatmeal?

I'm not to fond of beers like Young's Double Chocolate and the likes, i prefer my stouts thicker and bigger in taste. I absolutely adore beers like Hemel & Aarde.

I'm grateful for any kind of comments that may guide me closer to my answers :mug:

I think oatmeal is the ticket. Gives a silky mouthfeel that gives that thick impression. Try Founders Breakfast Stout if you haven't. GREAT thick stout with oatmeal, coffee and chocolate.

oats can help, but if you want really thick a high final gravity is the key. No other way really.

Thanks for the tips guys, i might go with oatmeal, chocolate extract, vanilla beans, cocoa nibs, maybe some coffee beans as well as lots and lots of hops.

Back