Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thick beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
Nostagar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thick beer?

I'm sure everyone has heard stories of beers so thick you can stand a knife in it, and the knife will stand briefly before falling over. Or the beer so thick you need to chew it.

One of my roommates has told stories about such beers from Germany.

What I'm wondering is what causes a beer to get thick like that, and if there are any recipes that you might suggest to try to make my own?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
inthesound
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Pitch your yeast into the mash tun? I can't imagine a beer that chewy, and I'm sure I've had my share of weird beers. Perhaps he was being hyperbolic in his speech. I genuinely can't imagine the scenario, you're essentially talking about a liquid that is a solid.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
Nostagar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with you on the hyperbole on a beer so thick you need to chew it, but the other should be doable, especially if you consider the head of the beer.

my questions remains, what kind of beer would that be? Is it purely a thick head? What would control how thick the head is? I figure it wouldn't be the beer itself, but I admit the possibility, but I have no idea what would cause the beer to be thicker than normal. I mean, it's still basically water. Foams however can be quite thick, so I figured that would be more likely.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You can certainly increase mouth feel by making a less fermentable wort, but standing a spoon may not be on the horizon. Increasing mash temperatures, and the use of many specialty grains can help to increase the perceived thickness of a beer........

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Quick Reply