New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Is There a Way to Check if Hops are Aged Enough for Lambic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Is There a Way to Check if Hops are Aged Enough for Lambic?

This is probably a stupid question (stupid because the answer is probably "nay-nay"), but...at least a year ago the friend who got me into brewing and donated a lot of my current brew setup to me awhile back, came over with a box full of old ingredients. That included tons of hops, some were plugs in the original wrapper, others were loose leaf hops not sealed or anything, just in the original freshops bag with a rubber band around it. Now, he had gotten them from some guy awhile back who wasn't brewing anymore, and then gave them to me, and now I've had them for a year. Problem is, since they've changed hands so many times, I've got no way of knowing when these things were originally purchased. I've used some of the plugs for stuff like mash hopping IPA's, etc., but I still have a ton of loose leaf amarillo and styrian goldings. I know they've gotta be at least a couple years old, probably more. They don't smell cheesy, and they're not terribly pungent.

So is there any way to verify their usage for Lambic? Or, after this long with substandard storage and no cheesy smell, is it pretty much a given that they're fine for this purpose?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4524 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I thought they were supposed to be "cheesy" for a Lambic. IIRC, I read somewhere that some brewers age their hops for up to 3 years.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I thought they were supposed to be "cheesy" for a Lambic. IIRC, I read somewhere that some brewers age their hops for up to 3 years.
Yeah, they go through a cheesy stage in the aging process, but if they stay cheesy, then they're no good.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 339 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Sounds like they're where they want to be. Landhoney (or, as someone referred to him recently, Honeylady) would probably know for certain, but it sounds like they're past the cheese stage.

How about boiling some up with a small amount of extract and seeing if there's any flavor/bitterness extracted? Do an experimental batch (or use that for starter wort) before taking any chances with the lambic.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply