Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Is there a substitute for Yeast Nutrient?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
ohad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Is there a substitute for Yeast Nutrient?

Hello,
Unfortunately, Yeast Nutrient is not available in brew stores in my area.
I know it's not that critical in most beers, but I had some fermentation problems, and would mind trying it out.
Except for ordering it from the internet (International shipment is expensive and complicated) is there any thing or mixture of things I can use to substitute Yeast Nutrient, at least partially?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

As you noted, yeast nutrient is really not needed for most beers. It's important for meads (and wines, I think) where you don't have as many of the nutrients naturally occuring, but beer worts generally have plenty of nutrients already. What else have you looked into regarding your fermentation issues? How do you aerate, for example? What kinds of yeast do you use, do you make a starter?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Llarian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

The only place yeast nutrient is particularly useful for beer is when making a starter in my opinion. I wouldn't worry much about not having it avaialble.

(Have any winemaking stores in the area? They're likely to carry it, since its vital to wine production)

-D

Quick Reply