Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thanksgiving Ales
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Schemy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Schemy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 605
Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Default Thanksgiving Ales

So the wife has requested something for the thanksgiving, but wanted something other than a pumpkin ale.

I am drawing a blank as to what to brew. Anybody got any suggestions?

I'm an all grain brewer. Brew pretty much everything.

__________________

Homebrewers Local 402
www.local402brewers.org
Schemy

ON TAP
Sprockets Sticke Alt
Sir Ryland Sour Brown
Mellow Gold Blond Ale
Gerta Hefeweizen
HB Experience Session India Brown Ale
I, ME, MINE English IPA
Nelson Brett Saison

Schemy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Tomcat0304
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Posts: 145
Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

You could go the Jones Soda route and make basically a liquid Thanksgiving with several courses. Just kidding, I don't really have anything more to contribute.

__________________
Tomcat0304 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Brewtah
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewtah's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 588
Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

A Strong Begium beer would go really well with Turkey. Keep the banana taste down and emphasize the clove and cardamom. You could also add some spices. It sounds great, now you have me thinking.
Or an Old Ale (strong ale).

__________________
I don't want stressed yeast, so I medicate them
Brewtah is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LandoLincoln's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 2,097
Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemy View Post
So the wife has requested something for the thanksgiving, but wanted something other than a pumpkin ale.

I am drawing a blank as to what to brew. Anybody got any suggestions?

I'm an all grain brewer. Brew pretty much everything.
Oktoberfest ale is pretty tasty for Thanksgiving.

I had Biermuncher's OktoberFAST ale ready for Thanksgiving last year. Went over well.
__________________
www.jolietbrewersguild.org
LandoLincoln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,949
Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Default

Fresh hop like Sierra Nevada Celebration - piney citrusy malty easy-drinking IPA
Some fall brown ale; add beer to the gravy too
And +1 on any lager/amber/o-fest type. Solid.

__________________
TyTanium is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
motorneuron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 561
Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

If you are literally going to be drinking it during the Thanksgiving dinner, consider making something that isn't of stupefying strength. It's a long day and there's plenty of time to drink, and you don't want people getting wasted at the meal. So I would think something of medium strength that also goes well with food would be a good choice.

Along those lines, you might consider an Oktoberfest or an amber. Those are both versatile food beers, I think, with enough taste to stand up to full-flavored food but not so heavy, alcoholic, bitter, spicy, etc. that they get in the way of food. An amber would also have the virtue of being American!

Other good medium-strength ideas: a lightly sage-infused porter (goes with stuffing); an APA; a fuller-flavored German lager (e.g. bock).

edit: oh yeah, and I tend to find that acidic beers go well with food. Maybe something cranberry-based would be good, or a sour. But a cranberry-infused beer gets some of the depth of sour beers without actually using a sour process.

__________________
motorneuron is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BrewerinBR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Big Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 1,285
Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

I have been considering making a sweet potato beer.... see if I can get it to taste like candied yams... all carmelly with a sweet potato/squash flavor and thivk mouthfeel.

__________________

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/basement-brew-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

BrewerinBR is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Brewtah
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewtah's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 588
Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerinBR View Post
I have been considering making a sweet potato beer.... see if I can get it to taste like candied yams... all carmelly with a sweet potato/squash flavor and thivk mouthfeel.
That sounds interesting. You are right something with a bit of sweetness or neutrality for turkey. Anything too bitter or roasty will devastate many of the subtle flavors like turkey, potatos, etc. I guess that is why people drink white wine with turkey. I don't care for it. I always drink a Pino Noir or some other red, but this thread has got me thinking.
__________________
I don't want stressed yeast, so I medicate them
Brewtah is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Schemy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Schemy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 605
Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorneuron View Post
If you are literally going to be drinking it during the Thanksgiving dinner, consider making something that isn't of stupefying strength. It's a long day and there's plenty of time to drink, and you don't want people getting wasted at the meal. So I would think something of medium strength that also goes well with food would be a good choice.

Along those lines, you might consider an Oktoberfest or an amber. Those are both versatile food beers, I think, with enough taste to stand up to full-flavored food but not so heavy, alcoholic, bitter, spicy, etc. that they get in the way of food. An amber would also have the virtue of being American!

Other good medium-strength ideas: a lightly sage-infused porter (goes with stuffing); an APA; a fuller-flavored German lager (e.g. bock).

edit: oh yeah, and I tend to find that acidic beers go well with food. Maybe something cranberry-based would be good, or a sour. But a cranberry-infused beer gets some of the depth of sour beers without actually using a sour process.
I like the idea of the sage. I've had a saison with sage. I have a wonderful brown saison recipe, that I am wondering if adding sage would work with that.

Maybe a cranberry witte. Or perhaps a cranberry kolsch.
__________________

Homebrewers Local 402
www.local402brewers.org
Schemy

ON TAP
Sprockets Sticke Alt
Sir Ryland Sour Brown
Mellow Gold Blond Ale
Gerta Hefeweizen
HB Experience Session India Brown Ale
I, ME, MINE English IPA
Nelson Brett Saison

Schemy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,608
Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

A nice lager is good.. even a Bo Pils and german pils is great during this season if you don't go with something darker or heavier.

I personally think Porters, and Stouts are the main stays of the season. But that's just me I think.

__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thanksgiving nukinfuts29 Cider Forum 2 11-21-2011 12:11 PM
Pre-Thanksgiving RIS chase Home Brewing Photo Forum 4 11-30-2010 01:32 AM
What did YOU do over Thanksgiving? Evan! General Chit Chat 30 11-29-2007 06:18 PM