The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Tequila in Vienna Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
granddeity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Tequila in Vienna Lager

I recently made a Vienna lager, having run out of cheap vodka I used tequila in my air lock. I am a habitual airlock sniffer, and the smell of the tequila mixed with the beer smell was very nice. I also drank the tequila from the airlock after I racked it for lagering, and it was very tasty (why waste the tequila?). It has me thinking, has anybody ever added tequila to a Vienna lager with good results? Any ideas on how much to add to a 5 gallon batch? Thanks for the info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
hoppyhopman
Recipes 

Default Tequila in Ale

Granddeity, did you ever receive an answer to your question? I make wheat beer, and a taqueria wants to buy a batch. I said that we could spin a particular flavor for them, and just joking, we were saying we should make it with a tequila flavor.

So now I'm wondering if I could actually do that somehow. I keep my process very simple though; I don't even do a secondary, just straight to bottles. If it can't be done in Primary or in bottles, I ain't doing it!

Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
granddeity
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never got any reply, but I am planning on making a tequila Vienna lager early next year. I plan on adding the tequila to the bottling bucket. I haven't yet decided how much to add.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It can be used. It is a hell of a waste but a reposado comes out great in some light to medium beers. I decided to do it to an ale back in the day for kicks since I had a few bottles someone gave me. Too much and it just tastes bad but I like it with a tad of wood. Add at bottling.

If you are afraid or just curious, play around with blending. Take a few snifters, add about 100ml beer in each and try 1,2,5ml of tequila, etc to see how you like the taste... Then scale up for the whole batch.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
hoppyhopman
Recipes 

Sounds like what you taste is what you get. Perfect for me; I want to keep it simple and subtle. I'll do the testing you recommend.

Thanks so much - Cheers!

Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I dunno, that combo doesn't seem like something I can get my tastebuds around. Seems to me something like a Dortmunder or a Cerveza; something Light and golden would balance the tequilla, not something dark...

Have you just tried getting a bottle of your favorite vienna lager, and a bottle of tequilla and doing a test blend?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Subscribed. I love me some Vienna, and I loooooove me some Tequila. Lead the way, my friend.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
granddeity
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Revvy, that is an excellent idea. I will be buying some Vienna lager soon and will mix some tequila into it to see if I actually like it as much as I think I will.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

There's no point in investing time, money and effort on something without figuring out if it's even worth it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply