Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Tepache!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #41
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3291 Times on 2051 Posts
Likes Given: 2807

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
St Patricks day I strained my Tepache in hopes of serving it at my house party. But it smelled pretty bad and scared us off. So I threw the jar in the fridge and I might give it a whirl tonight.

I'll let you guys know how it turned out
How bad? Mine came out pretty sour (should have stopped it earlier).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 03:31 AM   #42
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

has anyone had success with this recipe yet? Curious to see if we have any good results.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:59 AM   #43
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewrican View Post
has anyone had success with this recipe yet? Curious to see if we have any good results.
I have 3 friends that brewed it. 1 was excellent and I must say was as good as any mead I've ever had.

The other 2 were as sour as mine. I think mine might become part of a marguerita mix or something. It needs sugar added for sure. Other than the strong sour pineapple taste, though, there aren't any defects.

I think the key is stopping it early (through refrigeration, and possibly other more permanent measures). I think mine passed through the tastey stage before I paid attention.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #44
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Revisited, this past weekend I had cracked my Tepache. I bottled it with 1/4 cup of honey, and my yield was approx 13 12 ounce bottles. Beware using so much honey for priming sugar, as it is potential for a bottle bomb. It bubbles like CRAZY and is super high in carbonation. Reminds me of champagne. I had some friends over and one of them is getting married (we were all drunk) . Well they all tried it and the bachelor keeps saying that he wants me to make it for his wedding (for over 100 people). No thanks!!! It tastes good, somewhat sweet, totally pineapple, but has an odd finish.... I will be making this again when my produce co op produces more pineapple for free!!
I will post a picture of it soon....

Old 05-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #45
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is a video of my Tepache, one is a bottle bomb, and the other is of the pour. Don't prime with 1/4 cup of honey . . . and also wait until fermentation is finished.

<---- bottle bomb
<----- after its in the glass

Old 05-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #46
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Not a bottle bomb (that's when you hear a "bang" and find shards of sticky glass). What you have there is a helluva gusher.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #47
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Not a bottle bomb (that's when you hear a "bang" and find shards of sticky glass). What you have there is a helluva gusher.
One of them, I barley put any pressure on the cap and it made a loud pop sound and I lost half of the bottle opening it. I have not had an explosion, but I think the potential for one is there. That Tepache is good stuff. I am going to Mexico on Monday, I wonder if I can find it there.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #48
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Very Scared

Made my tepache for St Patty's day (way back in mid april) and when it came to bottling or serving it smelled terrible and way too strong. So I stuck it in the freezer to sit for the most part at 50 F. Even after racking and straining it developed a white layer on top.

And I still have the stuff in the freezer, and it still has the white stuff on top.

And I'm still scared to drink the stuff

Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #49
LFCider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Cool thread: I've never made tepache with coconut, or with spices beyond cinnamon; I'll have to try it! I'm glad so many people have taken an interest in a drink that even now is slowly losing its cultural relevance in Mexico. Apparently, my grandmother used to get the stuff when she was a kid in Mexico City, but two generations in, tepache has been replaced by things like Jarritos or other big name-brand fruit sodas. My cousins and their kids don't even know what it is!

But let's put the longing reminisces of another generation aside and get down to what we're really here for: the old family recipe. From what I understand, tepache was more a small beer/soda than it was a proper alcoholic drink, so my preparation of it has always gone accordingly.

Abuelita's Tepache (Mexico City variant)
The unwashed skins and core from 1 pineapple
~1 gal.* water
2 cups piloncillo (raw brown sugar)
1 stick of cinnamon

Leave the tepache somewhere warm for 3-5 days. I know it sounds like heresy, but I've always been encouraged to leave it in a sunny place, - even (gasp) with nothing but a clean dishtowel over the top! Cold crash it at the desired sweetness, or drink it fresh. Just make sure to serve it while it's carbonated!

I know, it seems like a minimalist recipe. But really it's more than just a recipe. Most old timers from Mexico would give you a weird look if you tried to use a whole pineapple for tepache: you can eat most of the darn thing, why throw it in the booze bucket?! The pineapple for them wasn't so much the means for tepache as it was an end solution for a hungry family. In that light, the family recipe says to only use the skins and cores of the pineapple.

*the volume was never specific, but for such little pineapple I decided to standardize at a low volume

Last edited by LFCider; 10-22-2012 at 05:53 AM. Reason: I left an asterisk without a follow-up footnote explanation.
People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #50
gerryhz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

So I am attempting to brew this too, but a little differently.

Making a 2 gallon batch

Ingredients:
-2 pineapples
-2 gallons of water
-3 whole cinnamon sticks
-13 allspice berries
-12 whole cloves
-24 oz of piloncillo (equivalent to 3 whole bars)
-32 oz of barley

I used a 5 gallon carboy with airlock for this. I cut the pineapple and had to cut the rinds into small slices to make them fit through the neck of the carboy. I added a bit of water into a blender from the 2 gallons of water used, and added the pineapple fruit (not the rinds) to liquify it. Then I added the thin pineapple puree from the blender onto the carboy. Added the 3 cinnamon sticks (broke all of them in half), and added the allspice and cloves.

Note: I did clean the pineapples since I was told not washing it can cause bacteria to grow during fermentation. Cleaning the pineapples with soap will not affect the wild yeast.

Going to let it ferment for 2-3 days, then add the piloncillo and barley.

In regards to the barley, I was told to boil the barley in a pot, then add it to the tepache 3 days after initial fermentation. Then let it ferment for an additional 3 days and it should be ready.

Quick Reply