The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Teamaker Hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
eightbt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Teamaker Hops?

So I was wandering around the internets trying to learn about alpha acids and beta acids. I get that AAs are what makes hops bitter, but I'm still unsure what beta acids are for. In my wanderings I came across something called "Teamaker Hops". It's supposed to be a type of hop that is low on AA (~1%) but high in BA, so you can make a hop tea without the bite.

My question is, where do I get some and has anyone tried using them as aroma hops/dry hops? I'm a bit skeptical on their existence since all of the pages that come up regarding Teamaker seem to be clones of the same news article.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Haven't heard of Teamaker, but there are certainly low-AA hops sold for making tea. Mainly used as a sleeping aid. With dozens of known hops available, I wouldn't bother trying to track down an unknown.

But, it's your beer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Dade0
Recipes 

Default I does exist.

I have a rhizome growing. Well, it grew last summer. Got very few cones. It is the 1st year. Not bitter or fragrant. I am going to use it as a late addition to an oatmeal stout this weekend.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Crucial-BBQ
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

When I was younger, perhaps 20 years ago, I used to purchase hops from a local health food store/coo-op. I am not sure what variety they were, but they were intended to be used in hop teas. In case you are not aware, hops have a calming effect and are often--or used to be, anyways--used as sleeping aids as a cup of hop tea has a tendency to make one sleepy/drowsy. They is also why they are used in "dream pillows".

Quick Reply