Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Taste of Simcoe in a IIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
louisbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Taste of Simcoe in a IIPA

I recently brewed the following recipe and I am looking for some help on troubleshooting what seems to be a sweetness issue with the beer. It's very slight and may actually be the hop flavors but I just wanted some others experiences with brewing with simcoe.

Here is the recipe

Batch Size 5.5 Gallons

12 lbs 2 Row
1 lb Crystal 40
.5 lb Carapils
2 lbs of dextrose at start of the boil

Mashed @ 149 for 3 Hours (needed to mash long due to schedule)
4.5 Gallons of Mash Water at Dough In
Mashed out at 170
Sparged with 4.5 Gallons of 170

Drained about 7.25 Gallons into the Kettle
Boil Time 60 Minutes

Hop Schedule (all pellets)

1 oz Simcoe @ 60
1 oz Simcoe @ 15
1 oz Simcoe @ 5
Yeast Nutrient and Irish Moss added at 15 Minutes (standard amounts)
Immersion Chilled to 180 Degrees
1 oz of Simcoe @ 180 (HopStand) for 15 minutes
Cooled to 62 Degrees and aerated for 3 minutes with wine degausser and electric drill

OG (Post Boil) - 1.070 (@62 degrees)

Pitched 2 Packs of US05 (did not rehydrate)
Fermented at 62 Degrees for
Dryhopped at Day 11 (1 oz Simcoe) - Took a gravity reading and got 1.010
Let the wort ferment out on the dry hopped Simcoe for 7 more days

Final Gravitiy - 1.005

Kegged at 19PSI (Force Carb)

After carbonating for a couple days it tastes really strong of grapefruit. The beer finished quite dry at 1.005 but it's still got a sweet taste to it. Is this the hop? I know a majority of the hops were added late in the boil but I wouldn't think it would give me a sweet taste, just more floral.

I was hoping for more IBUs but I calculated this one at 63 IBUs, probably should have gone for more like 90 or 100.

Any thoughts as to why I might be getting some sweetness in this beer vs more bitterness.

Could it be from the dextrose? the mash temp and dextrose addition definately dried out the beer and with carbonation it has a medium body to it. I just can't figure out if what I am tasting is normal from the ingredients or something flawed in the recipe or process.

It's definately higher ABV - 8-9% - the yeast didn't stall out but I know pitching them unhydrated hurts their vitality and at the rate of 2 packs I just figured I would still have enough. Maybe I underpitched it a bit but I would expect more phenolics from that not sweetness.

Did I use too much corn sugar as a % of the grain bill or is this all normal?

Thanks for any feedback.

Louisbrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
dabeers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am no expert, usually partial mash. But possibly you have too much crystal which gave the residual sweetness. I usually use 1/2 # in 5.2 gallons in ipas. i have seen recipes with over 1#, but it just may not be to your liking. Still finished nice and dry though! Maybe just give it a little more time to condition.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Agree it's the crystal. I'd skip the carapils and maybe do 1/2 lbs of the C40, although you could consider not using any crystal and add something else like a biscuit/victory or amber malt for a touch of color/flavor. Dextrose is definitely not the problem as that is 100% fermentable and is your saving grace to keeping the beer dry.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't think a pound of C40 in a 13+ lb grist is excessive at all. I don't know what the cause of the sweetness is, but its not the C40.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

i agree, definitely not the crystal causing sweetness, especially since the FG is 1.005. gotta be the hops, though only 5 oz for an IIPA isnt really all that much... it think its the fact that its only 63 ibus in an 8-9% ale, not enough bittering to cover the residual sweetness from the grainbill.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklepickles View Post
i agree, definitely not the crystal causing sweetness, especially since the FG is 1.005. gotta be the hops, though only 5 oz for an IIPA isnt really all that much... it think its the fact that its only 63 ibus in an 8-9% ale, not enough bittering to cover the residual sweetness from the grainbill.
I'm with ol nicpic here. Not enough bittering for such a big beer. If you've dried out to to 1.005 I don't think you had any recipe problems with the malt.

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
louisbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Laguintas sucks imperial IPA is 1.085 at 63 Ibus. It's great. I would think it would have the same problem right?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

"Designing Great Beers" recommends a BU:GU ratio of around 1.10 for an IPA. Your IIPA is only around .90. It needs more bitterness.

Lagunitas Sucks IPA also adds 2 lbs of Rye to the grain bill. The spiciness of the Rye will mute some of the malt sweetness.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
dabeers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisTX View Post

I'm with ol nicpic here. Not enough bittering for such a big beer. If you've dried out to to 1.005 I don't think you had any recipe problems with the malt.
Also good points.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
EyePeeA
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

That is a very low amount of hops and way more dextrose than I would personally ever use in an American DIPA, especially at boil start. But I have no idea why you are sensing any detracting sweetness at 1.005 FG. The only thing I can think of is that 10% C40 & Carapils might be a bit too much for your tastes.

It isn't the hops. Simcoe is full of pine, tropical musky fruit, and some grapefruit. In larger amounts, you obviously sense these flavors more and a certain perceived sweetness can become apparent. But in smaller amounts, like you used here, you get more clean and subtle flavors.

Quick Reply