New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Tasmanian IPA (Schlafly Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 03:45 AM   #1
opticflashback
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Tasmanian IPA (Schlafly Clone)

This is a clone version of Schlafly's T-IPA brew. I tried the other day and was kind of blown away by it; which made me want to give a go at a clone. It is not incredibly hoppy which makes it very drinkable, IMHO. Since the beers are seasonal, and seem to be limited due to seasons in the US, I decided to make an attempt at creating this clone version. Please take a look and let me know if I should make any modifications/corrections. I finally had the time and a break in the weather, and I brewed this last night (3/29/14)...

This is a complete overhaul of the previous recipe I created. Based on feedback, here is the modified Schlafly T-IPA recipe.

Specifics for Schlafly's Tasmanian IPA can be found on their website:
http://schlafly.com/beers/styles/tasmanian-ipa/

Grain Bill:

14 LBS --- Pale 2-Row Barley

.5 OZ --- Galaxy hops @ 60Min
1 OZ --- Galaxy hops @ 30Min
1 OZ --- Galaxy hops @ 10Min
.5 OZ --- Galaxy hops at flameout (hopstand until wort chiller completed its work)

2 OZ --- Galaxy hops (dry hopped 7 days in Secondary)

White Labs - California V (WLP-051) (Comparable to Wyeast 1272 - American Ale Yeast II)

Single infusion mash:
I will be using a 1.3 qt/lb mash thickness
Sacch' rest @ 152 for 60Min
Mashout @ 170 for 30Min

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I am also a big fan of this beer. And of Galaxy hops in general. It is a pretty sessionable beer but, to me, the flavor is pretty in your face tropical fruit. I would say increase the late hops to maybe a full ounce for each addition and move the 30 up to 15. Their website lists the malt as 'pale'. I would guess they just use US 2-row exclusively. It is a pretty light beer.
Can't wait to hear how this turns out. Happy Brewing!

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 02-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1347 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 2346

They claim it is a smash.....no crystal.

Is this possible?

- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin

Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
hawgwild81
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Interested to see how this turns out. This is one of my favorite beers they make. I drank my last one yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't use crystal. It's almost straw color.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 02-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1347 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 2346

Headbanger told me that galaxy impart the sweetness (or that it was possible) I am curious. Website says smash.

- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin

Old 02-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I made a clone of this last summer. Nothing but 2-row and galaxy hops. Their house yeast is wyeast 1272. For a 5.5 gallon batch:
13.75 lbs 2-row
.66 oz Galaxy 60 min
1.25 oz Galaxy 20 min
1.5 Galaxy 10 min
2.25 oz Galaxy flame out for 20 min hop steep at 165F
3 oz Galaxy dry hop

I mashed at 152F
OG 1.066
FG 1.010

If I make it again I might mash a little higher, but it was nice and dry. I would move more of the hops to flame out to get a bigger aroma and flavor. And maybe a another ounce in dry hops. I think Schlafly does something with a recirculating randall type thing to get the amazing aroma and flavor from the dry hops and that is the key to this beer.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
opticflashback
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I were to increase the hop additions in the boil I would be outside of the IBU range of 60. You could play around with the dry hopping to get additional Galaxy notes without the IBUs, but they didn't seem that intense to me when I sampled the beer. Using specifically 2-row pale would never give you an SRM of 5.0, I threw in the additional caramel 15L for color. The lovibond of 2-row is only about 1.8. However, since crystal malt can be made from any base malt; they wouldn't exactly be leading anyone on to say that it is a single malt brew, as long as they did the process of converting in house; and one base and one specialty is not outside of the scope (because it's still the minimalist approach when only using the specialty malt for color only). But, I am by no means a SmaSh brewer.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticflashback View Post
If I were to increase the hop additions in the boil I would be outside of the IBU range of 60. You could play around with the dry hopping to get additional Galaxy notes without the IBUs, but they didn't seem that intense to me when I sampled the beer. Using specifically 2-row pale would never give you an SRM of 5.0, I threw in the additional caramel 15L for color. The lovibond of 2-row is only about 1.8. However, since crystal malt can be made from any base malt; they wouldn't exactly be leading anyone on to say that it is a single malt brew, as long as they did the process of converting in house; and one base and one specialty is not outside of the scope (because it's still the minimalist approach when only using the specialty malt for color only). But, I am by no means a SmaSh brewer.
T-IPA is most definitely brewed with only 2-row. They have no reason to be dishonest about the grain bill. The beer is a special release that is intended to highlight Galaxy, so they designed it with no crystal malts. You can definitely get an SRM of 5 using strictly 2-row. Beer color is a function of the grain color AND concentration. If you made a 5 gallon batch with 20 lb of only 2-row and another with 10 lb of only 2-row they would not be the same color. The 20lb batch would definitely be darker.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
opticflashback
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarkin712 View Post
T-IPA is most definitely brewed with only 2-row. They have no reason to be dishonest about the grain bill. The beer is a special release that is intended to highlight Galaxy, so they designed it with no crystal malts. You can definitely get an SRM of 5 using strictly 2-row. Beer color is a function of the grain color AND concentration. If you made a 5 gallon batch with 20 lb of only 2-row and another with 10 lb of only 2-row they would not be the same color. The 20lb batch would definitely be darker.
I wasnt trying to assert that they were being dishonest. I am simply trying to point out that to get to that point your grain bill, using only 2-row, would be too high for this beer. They shoot for 7.2% ABV. You could use 16.5LB of 2-row to get to 5 SRM, but you are nearly to 9% ABV at that point. I am trying to keep it simple and reach all the numbers on their website with as little headache as possible.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticflashback View Post
I wasnt trying to assert that they were being dishonest. I am simply trying to point out that to get to that point your grain bill, using only 2-row, would be too high for this beer. They shoot for 7.2% ABV. You could use 16.5LB of 2-row to get to 5 SRM, but you are nearly to 9% ABV at that point. I am trying to keep it simple and reach all the numbers on their website with as little headache as possible.
Understood. But, the recipe I posted above matches up perfectly with the numbers on Schlafly's website. My recipe calculator(QBrew) gives an SRM of 5 for 13.75 lb 2-row(1.8 Lovibond) in a 5.5 gallon batch. This yielded a 1.066 OG, and then fermented to 1.010. That gives an ABV of 7.2%.

Quick Reply