Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > szechuan pepper corns

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
badducky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Szechuan Porter came out so good, with a nice, bright citrus-y peppercorn-ness, that it got me thinking...

Anyone ever try these as a coriander replacement in a Belgian Wit? Thoughts, recommendations, etc.?

Actually, I ought to share the recipe for the Porter I'm drinking.

5 gallon batch, extract with steeping grains:
6 lbs of Briess Golden Light DME
1 lb of Burnt Sugar
1/2 pound of Victory Malt
1/2 pound of Chocolate Malt
1 oz of Brewer's Gold @60 mins
1/2 oz of Cascade @30 mins
1/2 oz of Cascade @15 mins
1 teaspoon of Irish Moss @5 minutes
1.5 oz of Toasted Szechuan Peppercorns @ 5 minutes

Wyeast London Ale

Primary fermentation at ambient January temperatures in our garage took 10 days. After that, I did a pretty long secondary of about 30 days.

Only thing I might do different next time is put some black patent in there, just to get some more darkness.

This beer is very tasty.

It looks lighter than it is just because of how I'm holding it up to full sun, but it's still on the light side for a porter. Next time I might add a couple ounces of black patent in there just to darken it a little more. I'm not entering any competitions, though, so I'm not particularly worried about anything but a tasty, tasty beer.

img_20120212_132945.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #22
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm considering szechuan pepper for the next iteration of my H1B beer. The current version is just a robust porter with 15% of fermentables in cooked brown basmati rice, but since i have a couple coworkers from china as well i think i should add some chinese flavor to it.

badducky, I'm assuming you used a whole rather than ground szechuan pepper. does that 1.5oz include the black seeds (which are flavorless) or just the dried fruit?

Old 05-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
badducky
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used what was in the Dekalb World Market, which was just the hulls, or the fruit.

It's really good.

BUT, if you want a good "chinese" flavor appropriate for a porter, which traditionally includes Szechuan Peppercorns, have you thought about Chinese Five Spice? Fennel, Star Anise, Cinnamon, Szechuan Peppercorns, and Clove together creates a strong, classic Asian flavor that I've used with great success in dark beers. Honestly, I grind my own Five Spice because it is so good to have around fresh (not pre-packaged).

Old 05-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #24
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by badducky View Post
I used what was in the Dekalb World Market, which was just the hulls, or the fruit.

It's really good.

BUT, if you want a good "chinese" flavor appropriate for a porter, which traditionally includes Szechuan Peppercorns, have you thought about Chinese Five Spice? Fennel, Star Anise, Cinnamon, Szechuan Peppercorns, and Clove together creates a strong, classic Asian flavor that I've used with great success in dark beers. Honestly, I grind my own Five Spice because it is so good to have around fresh (not pre-packaged).
Alright, I have some stuff from penzeys that should work well.

I don't want it to taste brutally chinese - primarily i want it to taste like beer, you know? but the brown basmati rice in the last batch gave it a really good aroma and some subtle flavors that were very enjoyable.

I just want to add a chinese note, and this sounds like more fun than adding millet.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #25
Stuporjew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I was thinking of something along the same lines, but adding the peppercorns to secondary for a week, with some cacao nibs. Here's what I came up with, recipe-wise:

-11 Lb. 2-row
-1.2 Lb. caramel 75
-11 Oz. Chocolate Malt
-.25 Lb. Flaked oats
-.25 Lb. Carafoam

-.75 Oz. Colombus (Boil)
-.60 Oz. Striesselspalt (Whirlpool)

-1028 English ale yeast

-.5 Lb. Lactose (Boil)
-.5 Lb. Cacao Nibs (Secondary)
-2 Oz. Szechuan Peppercorns (Secondary)

Thoughts??? Thanks in advance.

Bottle Conditioning : C-Cubed IPA
In Secondary : Sh*tDang Vanilla-Bourbon Milk Stout
On Deck : Honey-wheat Ale W/ Sweet orange peel

"Good People drink good beer"
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 AM   #26
mexicola1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Upright Brewing makes a gruit with Sichuan peppercorns called 'SPECIAL HERBS' and is 5.7% ABV: "A unique brew incorporating wine and gin barrel aging to a farmhouse style gruit." With additions of "lemongrass, sweet and bitter orange peels, hyssop, and Sichuan peppercorns. A bit of spelt in the grist helps maintain some body, although the Special Herbs leans in a bright and dry direction." I haven't tried it yet but it sounds nice. My wish is that the peppercorn lends that familiar lip numbing affect i so love when eating those signature Chinese dishes.

Quick Reply