Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Sweetness + Bottle conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
jono1492
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Sweetness + Bottle conditioning

Hey guys,

Just curious about bottle conditioning and what it does to sweet flavors in beer. Are sweet flavors more likely to intensify or mellow out with age?

Or is it more complicated then that, is it dependent on the type of sugar or where its sourced i.e dextrose, honey, fruit etc.

Also, on the same subject, can certain sweetness be considered an 'off flavor' in particular beer styles?

Cheers,
Jono

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
DonRikkles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

From my limited experience (about 10 brews), the type of priming sugar has had no affect on the taste of the beer. I've primed with brown sugar, honey, and corn sugar and was not able to taste any of those in the final product.

I have noticed that my beers with sharper flavors evident 2-3 weeks after bottling often mellowed out the more time went one. One brew needed a few months to turn into a mellow and pleasant beer out of the bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply