Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > swapping DMEs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
jake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default swapping DMEs

I'm planning on picking up one of those 55 Lb bags of DME, now heres my question...
I was planing on getting extra light and using it as a base for all my recipes and i was wondering if a recipe calls for lets say amber DME can i achieve the same results using Extra light DME and steeping specific grains to achieve the flavor and color. or does the difference in breakdown of different malt extracts mean i must use those malts if i want to stick within the guidelines of a recipe. oh and if grains can be substituted does anyone have a link to a chart or good reference on what substitutions will achieve what, oh and I have thumbed through the conversion of all grains to extracts PDF thats been posted a few times and at first look did not see what i was looking for but haven't had time to give it the thorough read it disserves so i apologize if its in there.

-jake

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Getting a box of extra light DME is the same as getting a sack of 2-row pale. You can always use specialty grains. Palmer has an amusing little chart:

To help get your creative juices flowing, here is a rough approximation of the recipes for the common ale styles:
Pale Ale - base malt plus a half pound of caramel malt,
Amber Ale - pale ale plus a half pound of dark caramel malt,
Brown Ale - pale ale plus a half pound of chocolate malt
Porter - amber ale plus a half pound of chocolate malt,
Stout - porter plus a half pound of roast barley.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 AM   #3
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Check this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
I'm planning on picking up one of those 55 Lb bags of DME, now heres my question...
I was planing on getting extra light and using it as a base for all my recipes and i was wondering if a recipe calls for lets say amber DME can i achieve the same results using Extra light DME and steeping specific grains to achieve the flavor and color.
Thats the idea You know you might want to check out some software. I dont know of a chart of what you speak of... there are color guides malts though in books. I hve been playing with ProMash and it gives you an approximation of the color you will get with diffeernt additions of grains. The eval version of ProMash lets you save a few and does not expire after a certain period.. meaning you can use it for different recipes just not save them.

http://www.promash.com/

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-21-2006, 02:44 AM   #4
jake
Recipes 

thanks david that helps alot, ill have to take another look at plamers book and see if i can translate it directly into malt types.

as for promash, i have it but find it incredibly confusing im gunna have to curl up by the fire with the user manual some day

thanks for the quick replys guys, if i can break it down into a spredsheat ill post it for the rest of ya

-jake

Old 06-21-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake
thanks david that helps alot, ill have to take another look at plamers book and see if i can translate it directly into malt types.

as for promash, i have it but find it incredibly confusing im gunna have to curl up by the fire with the user manual some day

thanks for the quick replys guys, if i can break it down into a spredsheat ill post it for the rest of ya

-jake
Sounds like you did not do the tutorial yet. In the help section there is a cool tutorial that will makes things make a lot more sense.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Quick Reply