Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Surly Abrasive clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #31
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by legasus233 View Post
I brewed this a few weeks back, pitched a 2 liter starter. My original gravity was 1.072 so my efficiency was off so i added some extra light dme to kicked it up a few points, but not bad for my first all grain brew! I dry hopped in the secondary with 3 oz of citra for 7 days then added another ounce for the final 3 days. I roused the hops every few days. I bottled this stuff today and peeled off some for tasting. WOW! Just like the real thing, especially the smell, it is right on. As far as I can tell so far, the flavor is damn close, but I won't know for sure until its conditioned, I can't wait!
Awesome, you're lucky to have some real ones close by too. Glad your first all-grain went so well.

-Retired Homebrewer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #32
Chug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by legasus233 View Post
I brewed this a few weeks back, pitched a 2 liter starter. My original gravity was 1.072 so my efficiency was off so i added some extra light dme to kicked it up a few points, but not bad for my first all grain brew! I dry hopped in the secondary with 3 oz of citra for 7 days then added another ounce for the final 3 days. I roused the hops every few days. I bottled this stuff today and peeled off some for tasting. WOW! Just like the real thing, especially the smell, it is right on. As far as I can tell so far, the flavor is damn close, but I won't know for sure until its conditioned, I can't wait!
Nice, which recipe did you go with?

Old 11-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #33
legasus233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed the all grain recipe posted by theveganbrewer on page 2 of this thread. It seemed to match Surlys ingredients (listed on the website) the closest and fits the pattern they use for all of their brews.

The real thing came out this past week and so I grabbed a 4 pack for comparison. The color and aroma are spot on, flavor comp is yet to come.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #34
legasus233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The key is definately mashing low though to achieve the proper dry characteristics of Abrasive. Mine is definately dry which for this beer is perfect. I started my mash (using a 10 gallon Coleman cooler) at just under 150 and after an hour it was down to 146.5. It attenuated all the way down to 1.011!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #35
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks for the update on the real Abrasive, gotta keep my eye out for it online. I hope I can find an online retailer that'll have it in stock. I read they are running Abrasive from now through March.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 11-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #36
Chug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Anybody else get that onion-like quality with Abrasive? When I do attempt to brew this, I'm gonna have a hard time not throwing some Summit hops in there.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #37
zachary80
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Thanks for the update on the real Abrasive, gotta keep my eye out for it online. I hope I can find an online retailer that'll have it in stock. I read they are running Abrasive from now through March.
I've seen it at France44 before, last winter I think, but the shipping price kept me from ordering. Shipping beer across the country unfortunately can't be cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chug View Post
Anybody else get that onion-like quality with Abrasive? When I do attempt to brew this, I'm gonna have a hard time not throwing some Summit hops in there.
I haven't tasted that in Abrasive, nor really heard it with the given hops. Normally I see that mentioned specifically with summit hopped beers like Gubna - do you want to add/enhance an onion type flavor?
Next Batches: Wheat Stout, Quick n Dirty Berliner Weiss, Antithesis Saison du Vin, Split Open and Melt Imperial Stout

Old 11-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #38
Chug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary80 View Post
I've seen it at France44 before, last winter I think, but the shipping price kept me from ordering. Shipping beer across the country unfortunately can't be cheap.

I haven't tasted that in Abrasive, nor really heard it with the given hops. Normally I see that mentioned specifically with summit hopped beers like Gubna - do you want to add/enhance an onion type flavor?
I don't want to add or change anything, Abrasive is probably the best IIPA I've ever had! My palate isn't perfect but I have personally gotten a slight hint of onion with Abrasive in the past which leads me to believe they may use some summit. I haven't gotten my hands on this years yet, maybe I need to refresh my memory

Old 11-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #39
legasus233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
You would definitely be blown away by it. I have had many good IIPA's, but Abrasive is on a whole other planet, all alone. I would be happy to grab you some and work out a trade if you would like. PM me for more info if you are interested...

Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #40
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Summit is really strong in the onion/garlic department. There are some other hops that can produce onion in a slightly more subdued manner, and Citra is a hop that can actually have oniony notes and Columbus too sometimes.

-Retired Homebrewer

Quick Reply