Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Super malty, hop-bursted ale (sanity check)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
chemnitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Super malty, hop-bursted ale (sanity check)

I was thinking of some creative ways to use extra hops, and the thought came to me: could a beer be super malty and drenched in hop aroma and flavor? So, basically, I'd like to combine a very malty (though not necessarily super sweet) grain bill with a hop-burst technique (using lots of Amarillo). Does this sound like it would actually produce a tasty beer? Or would the flavors not meld well together?

I was thinking about using Munich or Vienna as the base, in order to get that rich maltiness I crave. Then, I would add healthy doses of Amarillo at 15, 5 and 0 minutes. I'm trying to decide what other hop would complement this hop bill. I have Willamette and Tettnanger on hand. I was also considering Simcoe and Centennial. I'm aiming for a BU:GU ratio of about 0.6, so that it is somewhat balanced between its two halves.

Here's an example of something in the general vicinity:

Malty, hop-bursted American amber ale
5 gallon recipe

9 lb. light Munich
1 lb. wheat
0.75 lb. C-40
0.25 lb. C-120

1 oz. Amarillo @ 15 min
0.5 oz. Simcoe @ 15 min
1 oz. Amarillo @ 5 min
0.5 oz. Simcoe @ 5 min
1 oz. Amarillo @ flameout

US-05 Yeast

Mash @ 154

Stats:
OG 1.057 (at 70% efficiency)
IBU 36
Color 15 SRM

So, does this make any sense? Should I go forward on it? Any tweaks? I'd appreciate a critique from the more experienced brewers out there.

"Das Wort hat, ... als ich Wittenbergisch Bier mit meinem Philipp und Amsdorf getrunken hab, also viel getan..." - Martin Luther

On Deck: American IPA, Märzen
Fermenting: None
In Bottles: Prime Abbey Singel, Vespers Abbey Dubbel, Terce Abbey Tripel, Compline Abbey Quad, Dragon's Tail Barleywine, Boyne Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'm not experienced, but I'm interested in the lack of a bittering hop addition early in the boil. Can you really get 35 IBU's worth of bittering from 15 and 5 minute additions? I, too, am interested in hearing from more experienced brewers.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I hopbursted a pale ale one time. 1 oz of summit got it to about 35 ibus. I would describe it as a smooth bitterness, while still being malt forward. I had one that was about 6 months old though and it barely retained any of the hop aroma, but it was very malty!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A few months ago I did something very similar and it turned out great. It was basically a scotch ale hop bursted with centennial and amarillo. IMO, I'd cut back on some of the crystal since you'll already have plenty of malt backbone and maybe add a dry hop, but otherwise looks good.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
Lenny2884
Recipes 

Love the idea. If your looking for something super malty why not use both munich and vienna? I'd also cut out the 120 completely but that's just me. I'd love to hear how this turns out if you do go through with it. I have some extra munich and vienna i've been trying to use up, you may have just sparked my imagination. I'd lean more towards the amarillo/centennial combination but there seems to be a lot of people that really enjoy the amarillo/simcoe combination. I get too much of a catty flavor when simcoe is overused so I try to use it with restraint. Everyone has there own taste so go with what you think you'll like more.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Looks good. I think the standard early hop additions provides a bitterness that can effectively counteract the malty flavors in a brew. By hop bursting, I don't think the bitterness you get neutralizes the maltiness as well - which is what you want.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 10-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Looks fantastic.

I had this idea after making a Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone (Yooper's Recipe at first). I loved the clone. Decent hop flavor, with some great maltiness shining through. I ended up making it again with bumping up the Munich and hop additions by a metric assload. It's one of my favorite beers to date.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
chemnitz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to move forward on this one. I just bought the grain. I dropped a quarter-pound of crystal out of the recipe. I'm also thinking about going all Amarillo--that has worked well for me in the past. Brew day is tomorrow, so if you have any last minute advice (hop schedule? mash temp?), now is the time to give it. Thanks.

"Das Wort hat, ... als ich Wittenbergisch Bier mit meinem Philipp und Amsdorf getrunken hab, also viel getan..." - Martin Luther

In Bottles: Prime Abbey Singel, Vespers Abbey Dubbel, Terce Abbey Tripel, Compline Abbey Quad, Dragon's Tail Barleywine, Boyne Mead

Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
chemnitz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I just bottled today, and the results look promising. The hydrometer sample was delicious--the hops really come through in a good way. I'll give you another update with complete tasting notes in a couple of weeks when I drink the first fully carbed bottle.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Couple weeks?

Screw that my good sir, rob the craddle and try a single one at 7 days!!

Quick Reply