Summit hop experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plan to salvage this onion bomb is to try to mask the aroma with dry hops. I have some zythos and falconers flight that I have been meaning to try, both buckets will get a couple ounces and hopefully it wont taste like shallot infused prison hooch

What are some commercial brews that use Summit other than Gubna? I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a 1/2 lb but want to see how I perceive it first (tangerine or garlic).

Tommyknocker uses these I believe.

I will be brewing an IPA this weekend using Summit.

Chinook @ 60
Summit @ 15 and 0
Willamette @ 5 and 0

I will decide on the dry hop schedule based on the taste of my gravity sample. I was planning on Summit and maybe a little Willamette, but if it gets too scallion like I will scrap that idea and go with something guaranteed citrus....and alot of it.:D

I love summit hops. I had 4 oz from FHBS and they went fast! No onion what so ever. I read so much about onion & summit that I was scared a little to use them. Brewed a Sacred Summit recipe and really liked results.

Irrenarzt said:
You are an adventurous man Andy, I'll grant you that.

Gubna is like drinking a blended durian slathered with the jizz from an onion manwhore. Just plain awful...

I LOL'ed. That's the best description of Gubna I've ever read...

ne0t0ky0 said:

+1... I have ten gallons of all summit pale that fits that description perfectly

I brewed Sunday. I had 3 Summit additions from 20 to flameout with not even a hint of onion. Looks like I'm gonna dry hop with them.

Man, I don't get all the Summit-hate. Especially the 'onion' and 'garlic' references.

To me, Summit is definitely a bold hop - with a very spicy, resiny, and slightly citric blend of flavors.

only used em for flavor/aroma additions - I get tangerine and orange. Once thought I got a hint of onion in my RyePale Ale but it might have been the tacos i had for lunch.

For real. I'm having it right now...glad I only bought just one can. Also glad I decided to do a Columbus SMaSH instead of Summit for my next brew. Definitely not giving up on Summit though.

I just brewed up a 1 gallon SMaSH using Summit, and only used late boil additions (<10min). While the pellets had a distinct onion/garlic aroma, the finished beer was all tangerine with a faint peach taste. The tangerine flavour and aroma were confirmed by 3 others who tried it. Looking forward to using them in an APA this spring.

I never smelled the onion/garlic until I read about it on here. Then I smelled the hops and sort of got it. Still, all tangerine after conditioning. LOVE summit. I work it into as many recipes as I can. And since I late hope, the high AA level means I'm really not using that much to get the bitterness I need.

I wonder if the onion garlic vs tangerine is a function of whole hops or pellet hops?

I used only whole Summits again this year in an IPA as FWH and late additions starting with 15 minutes and again got a mildly tangerine-y IPA. I do use pellets as dry hops with no adverse effect on flavor.

Used half of a pound of whole Summits from 2011 harvest for the brew and 2 oz pellets for dry hop.

I prefer my onions and garlic in pasta sauce where they belong.

Currently have a Summit blond fermenting...

I will say it was Peak Organic's Fall Summit Ale that got me hooked on Summit and this year's batch had some lingering garlic/onion that I have really not experienced with the hop. Could be a harvest-based phenomenon.

Yeah, I've noticed batch to batch variation as well; first Summit-focused APA came back as resin/tangerine, but fresh batch of hops gave me dirty lady bits, or as my wife put it, "congrats, you made a beer that smells like a sweaty slut."

Back