Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Summit hop experiences?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
rth97601
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Summit hop experiences?

For reasons both financial and practical, I'm experimenting with Summit hops, and trying to take advantage of the super high alpha to stretch my budget. I just made my first experimental batch yesterday, a partial-mash Pale Ale, and it seems like I added hardly any--1/2 oz. for 60, 1/4 for 10, and a pinch at the end. The brew calculator I'm using estimated 65 IBUs, which would blow this out of the water. I realize that the alpha is high, but it seems that summit is often used in larger amounts than this--how does the bitterness and flavor play out here? I tasted the gravity sample, and it was kind of nice ... a sharp hop zing that quickly faded, which is different from the lingering Glacier and Golding I've been using lately. Still, it didn't seem like a 65 at first taste ...

Anyhow, I'll be brewing the next before I have a chance to taste this first one--any comments or advice on Summit recipe formulation?

Just started kegging, and I'm never going back ... I feel much better about myself when I can't count the empties.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Donthoseme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I LOVE summit hops!! There i said it! weighing in at 18.1%AA it only takes 1/2 oz to bitter a 5 gallon batch to even hop head standards. however that's where i stop with these hops because i think Cascade and centenial are superior american IPA flavor and aroma hops. I wouldn't use the summits just because i don't think you get the aroma from a pinch of summit that you could from an ounce of cascade. My 1/50th of a dollar.

UNDEAD Dunkelweise
Baby Bryce Barleywine
1st Anniversary Ale (Imperial Porter)
Night of The Living Dead Ale (belgian porter) (DECEASED)
Dawn of The Dead Ale (Belgial IPA)(DECEASED)
The Omega Ale (Quad)(DECEASED)

Old 03-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 562 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 201

My "Sacred Summit" pale ale is still one of my favorites.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

To get proper aroma, you'd need to up the last addition to something more like a half oz i think. Move it to 0min and you shouldnt get much IBU change but a great deal of aroma.

I think i prefer it to both Cascade and Centennial for flavor and aroma. It gives off an intense tangerine aroma/flavor, but i guess that it just personal preference.

I just wish i could find them.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 03-14-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Donthoseme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chello View Post
I think i prefer it to both Cascade and Centennial for flavor and aroma. It gives off an intense tangerine aroma/flavor, but i guess that it just personal preference.
Amen brother.

UNDEAD Dunkelweise
Baby Bryce Barleywine
1st Anniversary Ale (Imperial Porter)
Night of The Living Dead Ale (belgian porter) (DECEASED)
Dawn of The Dead Ale (Belgial IPA)(DECEASED)
The Omega Ale (Quad)(DECEASED)

Old 03-14-2009, 01:38 AM   #6
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Summit is awesome, I still have some leftover from a 1lb purchase last year. I put at least one addition in nearly every APA or IPA I make lately. It's that awesome!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I just tasted an all Summit IPA out of secondary and so far the comments in this thread are right on as far as the aroma. Holy orange-tangerine!

However, I hopped this up to be a pretty decent IPA (65 IBUs) and I'm really quite displeased at the perceived bitterness I'm getting from it. I think I'm going to have to add a hopshot to get some bitterness into this beer. I'm going to wait and carb it up but the first tastes I was disappointed considering the high alphas Summit advertises.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 562 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I just tasted an all Summit IPA out of secondary and so far the comments in this thread are right on as far as the aroma. Holy orange-tangerine!

However, I hopped this up to be a pretty decent IPA (65 IBUs) and I'm really quite displeased at the perceived bitterness I'm getting from it. I think I'm going to have to add a hopshot to get some bitterness into this beer. I'm going to wait and carb it up but the first tastes I was disappointed considering the high alphas Summit advertises.
Yeah...for a high alpha hop...summit is about as mild as they come.

I did notice that once the beer finished out and was carb'd up, the bitterness came through more.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-14-2009, 02:08 AM   #9
rth97601
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice everyone--It'll be useful on the next round. From my perspective, since I'm only going for a PA rather than and IPA, Dude's comment on the lower perceived bitterness fits the mark, since I was afraid I way overhopped this batch. We'll see, but I'll probably stick with the same amount next time and go on faith.

As for the aroma, I love the smell right out of the bag, so I'll add more at the 0 mark on the next batch to see if I can get a good whiff, especially with the descriptions here. I tried a beer in Kalamazoo MI last year, called Hopmouth, I think, and it was fantastic, with a ton of aroma but not too much bitterness--I wouldn't mind that effect, if I could pull it off.

Just started kegging, and I'm never going back ... I feel much better about myself when I can't count the empties.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:09 AM   #10
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

Where can I purchase Summit hops?

Hell or High water Brewery

All Brews: ALL GRAIN ALL THE TIME!

Quick Reply