Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Summer Shandy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
fatnoah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Default Summer Shandy

A while back I was challenged by a co-worker to make a Leinenkugel Summer Shandy clone. I did some searching on this site and found two threads that were helpful. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/extr...shandy-289981/
and http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/summ...olumes-306522/

I based my recipe off of the information from those threads and I did just a 1 gallon test batch to start.

Extract
Ingredients:
1 lbs. Breiss Pilsen Light DME
4 oz. Breiss Bavarian Wheat DME
0.3 oz. Wilamette Hops (4.9%) @ 30min.
0.2 oz. Wilamette Hops (4.9%) @ 10min.
US-04 Safale Ale Yeast (5g)
OG=1.051

Added 1.25 gal to boil kettle heated it up, threw in the DME, brought to a boil and added the hops as described above. Let it sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks (watch it cause I needed a blow-off tube with the small head space in the 1 gallong jug). I bottled with 21g of table sugar and 4g of Kool-Aid lemonade mix (no sugar added). http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Aid-Lemon.../dp/B001IZI8FA
FG=1.012
I wanted to use that TruLemon stuff, but couldn't find it anywhere.
Let it carb up for 2 weeks in the closet (over 70F). Got 9 full 12 oz bottles.

After 2 weeks I put one in the fridge for 12 hours and tried it. Very good! A little strong on the lemon flavor (will scale back the lemonade mix next time). But crisp, nicely carbed, very refreshing. Not a perfect clone of Leinenkugels, but I am very pleased with the results. The recipe is stupid easy, fast, and cheap. So mission success IMO.

Just thought I'd post this in case someone else is looking for a shandy clone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I had recently been searching and reading the threads you mentioned. Def keep us posted on how the lemonade taste comes through as it ages. I recall one of the threads saying that bottling worked great, but kegging all the lemonade flavor sunk to the bottom and was consumed in the first few pints.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Personally I think it'd be tastier to just make a beer, and add 7-Up/Sprite to it at serving time, a la Raddler.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
plainbrad

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnoah View Post
I bottled with 21g of table sugar and 4g of Kool-Aid lemonade mix (no sugar added).
Quote:
Very good! A little strong on the lemon flavor (will scale back the lemonade mix next time). But crisp, nicely carbed, very refreshing.
How much less of the Kool-Aid would you use?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
fatnoah
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Update on my shandy adventures this summer. In my second batch I followed the same recipe as above but only added 3g of the kool-aid lemonade mix at bottling. Then this weekend, my SWMBO and two friends got together and did a blind taste test of both of my shandy batch, Leinnies shandy, and shock top shandy. I was easily able to tell the difference between all 4, one of my friends confused mine for leinnies, and SWMBO was WAY off didn't get a single one right. We also ranked which ones we liked the best and my batch 1 (with 4g of the kool-aid) was the favorite for 3/4. So when I make this again I am going back to 4g of kool-aid. Maybe it mellowed from when I first tried it (but its only been aging a month) but I think 4g is the way to go. I am probably done playing with shandy for the summer, but next spring I am going to scale up and make a big batch with my recipe for some great shandy all summer.

I still need to try some other commercial examples (like porch rocker), but I am pleased with my product.

As for all the people who constantly post on these shandy threads "why dont you just mix beer and lemonade/sprite/whatever." Yes, you could do that. That is not the point. The point is I had a leinnies shandy and thought "that's refreshing, I wonder if I can make something like that." And the answer is yes.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
As for all the people who constantly post on these shandy threads "why dont you just mix beer and lemonade/sprite/whatever." Yes, you could do that. That is not the point. The point is I had a leinnies shandy and thought "that's refreshing, I wonder if I can make something like that." And the answer is yes.
Im with you on this one. I too want something I can just drink out of the bottle, and not mess with mixing it. Of course you could mix it, but where is the fun in that

I just bottled a 5g batch of Cheri's Shandy recipe that you mentioned. I used the Tru Lemon like the recipe calls for. The samples I tested during bottling were not great, hope it perks up with a little carbonation!

Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Well if you want to make it like Leinie and all the other guys do it, you'd have to make a regular 5% blonde beer, ferment it out. Sulfite or filter down to 0.5 micron (to remove all yeast). Add a 50:50 mix of water:beer (or less or more, to taste), add the appropriate amount of sugar, add the appropriate amount of lemon lime soda extract, mix well, force carbonate, and bottle from the tap.

I would never bother with kool aid. Tastes too artificial for me. Don't forget that you'll be committed to 5 or even 10 gallons of this stuff.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I think the point is, we do not want to make it like Leinie. I would go buy a Summer Shandy if I wanted one. I want to make a good beer with the equipment I have, simple and easy. Not sure why some folks insist on looking down on others when they experiment or try something they dont personally like. RDAHB

Old 08-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well I started drinking my batch this weekend. Its a good summer wheat beer, but the lemon did not come through at all! I used the 12 packets as instructed. Oh well, its still a fantastic summer brew!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #10
jasolhe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

any updates/improvements on your clone? personally i love the shocktop lemon though every rating on http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/79669
thinks its faulkn worst thing on earth - i just dont get it - just like lemon i guess...maybe lemon zest add to wort?

Quote:
Update on my shandy adventures this summer. In my second batch I followed the same recipe as above but only added 3g of the kool-aid lemonade mix at bottling. Then this weekend, my SWMBO and two friends got together and did a blind taste test of both of my shandy batch, Leinnies shandy, and shock top shandy. I was easily able to tell the difference between all 4, one of my friends confused mine for leinnies, and SWMBO was WAY off didn't get a single one right. We also ranked which ones we liked the best and my batch 1 (with 4g of the kool-aid) was the favorite for 3/4. So when I make this again I am going back to 4g of kool-aid. Maybe it mellowed from when I first tried it (but its only been aging a month) but I think 4g is the way to go. I am probably done playing with shandy for the summer, but next spring I am going to scale up and make a big batch with my recipe for some great shandy all summer.

I still need to try some other commercial examples (like porch rocker), but I am pleased with my product.

Quick Reply