Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Suggestions on Nut Brown Ale Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
treehouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Suggestions on Nut Brown Ale Kit

I'm trying to improve a nut brown ale kit that I have used and gotten good results with in the past. A pretty straight forward recipe for a medium lower gravity beer that goes down smoooooth and easy. However I'm looking for those subtle nutty/toasty notes on the finish which this recipe lacks I think. I don't want to overpower the beer or turn it into something it is not though. Here is the basic recipe:

5lb amber DME
12oz light crystal malt (caramel 20%)
1oz chocolate malt
2oz malt-dextrin powder
combination salts
hops (wilamette and kent golding)
yeast: Wyest 1098
SG usually turns out about 1.048

I'm thinking of adding 6 onces of English brown malt (why 6 onces? I dunno. why English brown malt? I dunno.) and 1oz of black patent. Is the 1 oz of black patent enough to get that toasty taste or should I add more? I want subtle and don't want to turn this thing into a stout taste. Should I kick up the gravity? Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I would not add the black patent, that is more of a burnt coffee note. Fine for stouts, but not what you are looking for. Brown malt, Biscuit, Victory and Munich will all give you nutty/toasty. 6 oz. is a good number & the gravity is fine for a nut brown.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'm formulating a toasty brown ale in my head, the current plan is to toast some 2-row in the over. Problem is, not something that you would want to steep, think it needs to be mashed - same with the biscuit, Munich, and Victory recommendations (not sure about the brown malt).

You ever do a partial mash before? It's pretty easy, and something you'll want to do it you use the grains David recommends.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
cha ngo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I prefer roasted barley over black patent. In fact, I am drinking some homebrewed brown ale right now that I used roasted barley in and it is quite nice. Patent is a bit much IMHO.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
treehouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
You ever do a partial mash before? It's pretty easy, and something you'll want to do it you use the grains David recommends.
Yup always do a partial mash on this recipe.

I hear what you guys are saying on the black patent. Don't want it to taste like a stout and I agree on the burnt coffee note being out of place. Burnt ain't toasty, but what the hell, I have some and it might be interesting. Just an ounce and will add to the partial mash.

I'm not really familiar with bisquit or victory malts but I do know about munich. Those will go in next go around.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quick Reply