Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Extract - Suggestions needed for Dark belgian recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Dwearly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extract - Suggestions needed for Dark belgian recipe

I am planning a belgian strong using the yeast cake from a belgian double. I have come up with a simple recipe from looking through multiple recipes and using what is available from my local brew shop. Please let me know if there are any suggestions, as I plan to brew this weekend.

10 lb light malt extract
3 lb light brown sugar
1 lb Briess caramel 60

2 oz fuggles @ 60 minutes
1 oz Hersbrucker @ 30 minutes
1 oz Hersbrucker @ 10 minutes

White Labs Trappist Ale (WLP500) cake from previous batch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Sounds good. I usually only do a -60min hop addition on my dark strongs, but nothing wrong with some later additions.

It'll probably finish well below 1.023, though. I'd guess around 1.010, because of the sugar. So it'll be a lot stronger than you think it will be. If you don't want it to be 12% ABV I'd scale back the ingredients a bit.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 02-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Dwearly
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. I used beer calculus for the formulation development for this recipe and the Belgian dubbel. It projected that the dubbel FG would be 1.014 and I was down to 1.011, so the sugar must bring it down some. Would you suggest that I cut the brown sugar to 2 lb or lower to keep the alcohol at 11% ABV (within style guidelines)?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I just made one that came out really nice. A little Special B works well for some of the darker-fruit overtones, maybe a half-pound at most. It's like a REALLY dark crystal malt, so you should be able to steep it with no problems. You're only at 14 SRM, the Special B will add a little more color as well, get you a little darker.

Also, the dark liquid candi syrup makes a really nice addition (same role as the regular brown sugar, but it should be better).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Dwearly
Recipes 

I used Briess Extra Special Malt in my dubbel recipe since my local shop didn't stock the special B I was planning to used. Do you think that would work? Should I go w/ 1/4 or 1/2 lb? My shop doesn't have candi syrup. What do you think about 1 lb light brown sugar and 1 lb dark candi sugar?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would scale the fermentables back evenly. I usually go with 15-20% sugar in my big Belgian beers.

If you can't find Special B, I'd use the darkest crystal you can find.

The dark "candi" rocks are a waste of money, IMO. You can make your own candi syrup without much trouble. There are a few threads around about that. Here's my own. It's still a work in progress, but I've gotten some interesting results so far.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/cand...one-d2-220882/

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply