Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Suggest me a good choc stout recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
BeantownR6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Suggest me a good choc stout recipe

so ive brewed up mostly ipas, and want to try something different. i don't know much about stouts....guiness is about as far as my knowledge goes. as i was sitting at breakfast having a guiness yesterday, i want to make a stout.

that being said, can someone give me a choc stout recipe, AG 5 gallon batch. this will be my first all grain, brew in a bag. i did my first PM the other day and it was a success! i have a brew bag capable of 15 lbs of grain and an 8.5 gal pot, but id like not to use the whole 15 lbs.

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check this out

That looks like an excellent recipe in my opinion. It will be a very pronounced chocolate flavor. I didn't read through the whole thing, just looked at the recipe. Obviously, leave out the raspberry, especially since it's raspberry flavoring and not the real deal.

Also, I didn't notice you can only do 15 lbs. of grain. You could probably get by with dropping the 6-row and reducing the chocolate malt a bit. I might reduce the roasted barley to less than 0.3 lb. also.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I think most sources suggest that you stay away from anything besides cocoa powder or cocoa nibs. Adding chocolate itself will be putting a ton of oil and possibly milk products into your beer that will completely kill the beer head.

Read up on this thread. Great tips for making a "chocolate" beer. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/what...brewing-94804/

Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i think i may do the SN stout. this way i can go buy a bottle, see if i like it (i probably will) then make it.

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipes/r...da-stout-clone

Old 04-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
bkirkland
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i did i rouge chocolate stout clone .... grain bill was light, added dark chocolate syrup to boil and secondary...

brew well ;>)

Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed one in the sweet stout style and added 1 lb of lactose. The lactose really did wonders in balancing out the bitterness that the cocoa contributed - kind of like cream in a mocha. I also added .5 lb of roasted barley and .5 lb of black patent to fill out the flavors per Jamil's sweet stout recs.

I highly suggest going to your nearest Whole Foods or gourmet store and splurging on some good stuff. My cocoa powder was amazing.

Geography in a Glass:
http://beergeography.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply