The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Sugar: organic, regular table sugar and sugar in the raw

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
hiphops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Sugar: organic, regular table sugar and sugar in the raw

I am going to brew a belgiun wheat ale, similar to a Blue Moon but hopefully better. I want to kick up the alcohol content and am considering adding 2 pounds of sugar.

Are there any functional differences between simple white table sugar (the cheapest option), organic sugar and sugar "in the raw"?

My guess would be no: whatever sugar is added is simply going to be eaten by the yeasts and turned into alcohol, regardless of the type of sugar added.

Seem reasonable?

Swim - bike - run - repeat
Indict - convict - affirm on appeal - repeat
Brew - bottle - drink - repeat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
KYB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The only difference will be sugar in the raw. It is turbinado sugar, not completely refined like regular table sugar.

http://www.sugarintheraw.com/oursugar/index.html

As far as sugar goes, I don't see being organic having any effect at all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply