substituting cascade hops with ______?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wackyvegan

Reaction score
hello everyone.i want to brew a flying dog classsic pale ale clone and need these hops:

use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.0 Northern Brewer info pellet 7.8
boil 15 mins 0.5 Cascade info pellet 5.5
boil 15 mins 0.75 Centennial info pellet 10.0
boil 1 min 1.0 Cascade info pellet 5.5
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Cascade info pellet 5.5

i need a substitute for the cascade hops because i cant get them at my LHBS.please also consider the hops i need to dryhop the beer.

When or will they get them in anytime soon? You can try Amarillo or Centennial but there is really no close substitute for aroma. I would go for Amarillo over Cent or a combo of both. I'm not a big citrus hop head so hopefully someone else can comment on a better sub than mine.

found some cascade hops in another shop.just extra shipping costs but whatever.
for the 0.75 ounc centennial i will just use cascade right?

shall i use 2x the amount of cascade for the centennial that is mentioned in the recipe?
and how does the dryhopping work?do i let the beer ferment out completely and then add the hops?or do i add them before its finished.do i have to treat the hops for dryhopping a certain way so that they dont contaminate the beer?

You want to figure out the alpha acid of the hops they were using, or the IBUs you should be expecting from the hop additions, and use a calculator to figure out how much of the centennial you will need to use to get a similar IBU. Finishing hops and dry hops won't matter as much.

As for the dry hops, I would wait until its almost done before adding, it really doesn't matter at what point, just as long as you time it to where you will be bottling/kegging by the time they have been in there for 7-10 days. You don't want the hops to be in there for more than 2 weeks, so just time around that. You can leave the beer for a month, and THEN dry hop, if you know you are going to keg/bottle within a week or so of that.

You don't need to sanitize the hops, and you can either weigh them down with some sanitized marbles or something in a hop bag(you use the marbles to weigh down the bag so it doesn't float at the top), or just throw the hops in loose!

Edit: see how the aa% on the right column says 5.5% for Cascade and 10% for Centennial...you could pretty much half the Centennial to get a similar IBU based on the aa%.

After the beer is finished fermenting you can either dry hop in the primary or transfer to a secondary and then dry hop there. Just sanitize the satchet (they should come vacuum sealed) and a pair of scissors and pour the hops in.

Back