*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Substitute for cocoa nibs??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
JOHN51277
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Default Substitute for cocoa nibs??

I have looked everywhere, locally, and cannot find them. I know I can find some online, but I have the mash going now for my KBS clone. I have plenty of bittersweet chocolate, unsweetened bakers chocolate, and plain ole milk chocolate.

The recipe calls for "1.5 oz unsweetened cocoa nibs (15 mins)"

Is there a way to get similar results with what I have on hand?

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
JOHN51277

Recipes 

anyone??

Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 07-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

FWIW, you can get cacao nibs (the bean is cacao, cocoa is the processed final product) at Whole Foods around here.

Personally I'd go with unsweetened cocoa (Dutch process if you have it to limit bitterness), and I'd use it in secondary instead of during the boil. Maybe 5-8 oz or so in a 5 gallon batch. Make it into a paste with hot water.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com...lla-maple.html has some interesting ideas for split-batch breakfast stouts...

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 07-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You don't want to use full-on chocolate, BTW--the fats in it can kill your head retention among other things. Going with cocoa gets you the flavor without the lipids.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 07-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Banjoman76
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I used an ounce and a half of unsweetened Bakers chocolate and recently cracked a bottle of my KBS Clone... loved it and had another.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If adding them to the secondary, make sure you sanitize the nibs first in some boiling water or with high proofed vodka... I didn't and my nibs had some brett one them. Turned into one funky tasting chocolate porter...

Old 07-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
JOHN51277

Recipes 

I went with 1 oz of unsweet bakers chocolate. I tried some for the first time to see how it was.......Bitter is the first thought I ran through my mind. Should be good. We will see. This is the thickest, muddiest stuff I have ever brewed. I cant wait to drink it in a few months!

Kegged:

Old 07-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used the usweet bakers chocolate in my breakfast stout and it turned out well. No problems with head retention.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Rambling on my chocolate search:
I was going to use unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder (Wondercocoa, fat free) for all the chocolate in my upcoming Breakfast Stout but the yeast will be ready Saturday and I won't get it until Monday (and I'm a slave to the yeast). So I did some searching and finding dutch-process cocoa powder locally was way more difficult than I expected.

I looked back at the recipe in Zymurgy (recipe had input from Founders head brewer) and it said Belgian bittersweet chocolate. I remembered something I read about Callebaut being voted 'best' in some cooking magazine (fwiw, Ghirardelli was one of the worst). Callebaut is Belgian and Callebaut bittersweet chocolate (70.4%) was at Whole Foods. Not cheap of course.

Still wanting to use powder instead of the nibs, I finally found some at Williams Sonoma but had to pay through the nose for it. The brand is Pernigotti and it has a little natural vanilla in it which is fine with me. I gave it and some organic cocoa powder (that I found at Whole Foods) a sniff test and the Italian stuff smells WAY better (and is way darker as expected), I wanted to dive into that can it smelled so good.

So I'm prob going to go with 2.5 oz Callebaut bittersweet chocolate plus 1.5 oz Pernigotti cocoa powder, both @ around 15 min left in boil.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Where are you at SpanishCastleAle???

Im near Mt Dora, in Lake County!

Kegged:

Quick Reply