The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Subbing Pale and What To Simulate MO?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #21
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

Marris Otter gets its distinct flavor from the conditions it grows in and is harvested under. It is a "winter" barley and goes through stressful growth during the cold weather.

There are Canadian malts that are similar, but you'll find nothing just like it and it's impossible to emulated with specialty grains.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #22
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Marris Otter gets its distinct flavor from the conditions it grows in and is harvested under. It is a "winter" barley and goes through stressful growth during the cold weather.

There are Canadian malts that are similar, but you'll find nothing just like it and it's impossible to emulated with specialty grains.
Yup. It's very stressful growing up in Britain.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 05-12-2009, 12:10 AM   #23
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

It's what gives you that distinct flavah!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #24
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Have you tried the Briess Pale Ale malt (not the Briess Pale malt)?

Just wondering because its description sounds just like most descriptions of MO.

I have seen Victory and/or Munich used to help get some more MO like flavors. I think the Munich helps increase the maltiness and Victory the biscuit/toast like flavors. I don't think there is any ideal substitute but some combination discussed here should make a good English style beer.

To my understanding MO is exclusively grown and malted in UK. It "should" be cheaper there. However I don't find it excessively expensive here. It was $62 for a 55# bag at the LHBS recently. They had 2-row for about $55. Because of shipping costs its not much cheaper ordering it from any where else.

I guess it is time to do a SMASH with MO and Briess Pale Ale to see how they compare. I would just need to find some testers with a good palette to compare the 2.

Craig
I may be Gnome-y, but I believe that there are only:

2-row base malt

Briess Malt & Ingredients Co.: Base Malts

Pale Ale malt

Briess Malt & Ingredients Co.: High Temp Kilned Malts

Organic 2-Row and Organic Pale Ale malt

Briess Malt & Ingredients Co.: Organic Brewing Ingredients

My price for briess Pale Ale is significantly cheaper, but a little more for MO, at my LHBS.

Changes in my procurement regimen there have led me to look to North Country Malt. I believe you are correct in the common use of Munich and Vienna to flavor up standard domestic base grains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Quick Reply