Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stupid Hops, remind me of Glade Plug-ins

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #21
sullifan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i.e. hoppy, malty, Cascades- SNPA!
I can only drink a couple at one sitting, but I LOVE it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 11:40 PM   #22
MrEcted1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
I am sampling an oak aged YETI IMPERIAL STOUT. ($7 for a bomber!) It is a good beer, but it has way too many hops, particularly in the finish. They totally mask all the tasty malt and oak characters of this beer and just leave you with the sense that this is a BIG HOPPY beer.

I thinking I am on the edge of another rant (I HATE WHEAT BEER CLONES!) but why hide all that great malt with hops? Even from an economics stand point, we spend all this money on great malt and then pull out the Glad Plug-in to cover it up. You know what I mean, you go into a friends house and all you smell is ALPINE MEADOW while you know good and well there is some garlic chicken aroma in there somewhere!

I think I need to back off on my hopping rate on the 18,252.5 Nights IPS recipe we are playing with. Maybe get the IBUs down to 50 as well!

Really? I get that beer ALL the time (on draft and in the bottle) and it doesn't seem overly-hoppy to me at all. I think it has an exquisite maltiness with a really nice and creamy oak flavor. Course i've been drinkin this stuff for awhile so I might be used to the hops, but I never remember this beer being that hoppy.

of coarse this is all opinion!

Primary: Porter Potty (oaked porter)
Secondary:
Bottled:
Bottled (Drinking):
Next: IIPA

last batch review(Schwheat (wheat))

Appear: 3.5/5.
Mouthfeel: 3.5/5
Carb/Head: 3/5
Taste: 2.5/5
Overall: 3/5

An overall decent beer but it has too much of a banana character, I think it's because of fermenting at too high of a temp. Tasted better as it aged, but far from perfect.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #23
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

am not sure about the beer I had, or my condition when I was tasting it, because when I had it again this past weekend it had a very different character. (see my "Yeti Yet Again" thread.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:40 AM   #24
dancingbarefoot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
then pull out the Glad Plug-in to cover it up. You know what I mean, you go into a friends house and all you smell is ALPINE MEADOW while you know good and well there is some garlic chicken aroma in there somewhere!
Good God, those Glade things reek! Now, if they actually had garlic-scented air freshener, I might use it. Or bacon. Mmmm....

I'm with you, though - why hide delicious malty goodness?

Old 05-03-2006, 04:46 AM   #25
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

Or hop scented room fresheners. I had o bowl of hops out yesterday and the whole room reeked, it made me quite happy.

Since you're planning to age the 50th b-day beer for 3 years most of that hop aroma will disapate before you're drinking it. Also you could go for the European method of leaving your hops out to age a bit before using them, drive off some of those annoying aromas.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #26
Cap'n Jewbeard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Haha, hop-scented air fresheners. You should totally market that, you'd make millions of dollars. Or at least tens of dollars...

or ones...

Quick Reply