Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Strong dark belgian ale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
beercadetdevin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strong dark belgian ale.

So, im a hop head and usually do west coast styles but Ive made my first attempt at writing a recipe for a belgian style. Please help me sort it out, im a total newbie at this style.

Name: Betelgeuse
Style: Strong dark belgian ale

Calculated stats
ABV: 8.3%
SRM: 29
IBU: 33.5
OG: 1.082
FG: 1.020

Ingredients
8 lb pilsner liquid extract
2.5 lb pilsner malt
0.5 lb special b
0.25 lb aromatic malt
1 dark candy sugar
1 oz magnum (60 min)
1 oz hallertau (0 min)
belgian strong ale yeast

Please give me advice on my ingredients and possible tips for the brew process. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Stardust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd like to ask a couple of questions...

Why are you interested in brewing this style? It's so different than your usual brew.

What yeasts have you used in your 'preferred' style (west coast)? You sited 'strong belgian ale yeast' for your proposed recipe. I've used WLP500 (Trappist strain) and got ABV 14% even though it's not considered a high gravity yeast.

There are some good extract recipes in the recipe database on this site. I could cut and paste one but you may find that browsing through them might give you an idea of what you are looking for with regards to a recipe that suits you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply