Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stout/Porter with belgian yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
Jack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a stout like this a year or two ago. It was made in Finland, I believe... Very, very delicious!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm a big stout fan, but hate belgians. However, I say go for it! Good for you for saying "**** you" to the styles and experimenting!

[/drunken encouragement]

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
KCPyrate
Recipes 

Boulevard Brewing released "Dark Truth Stout" last winter as part of their Smokestack Series. It is made with a belgian yeast strain, here's what their release had to say:

"Ladies and gentleman, we present for your consideration this exotic, inky elixir, the almost magical creation of our modern day alchemists, who have turned humble grains – barley, wheat, rye and oats – into black, liquid gold. Layers of complex flavors slowly emerge from the glass: espresso, roasted fig, creme brulee. Belgian yeast provides a plum-like fruitiness, noble German hops reveal spicy, herbal notes, while the rich, velvety mouthfeel mellows to a dry, smoky finish. Such a robust beer stands well by itself, but also makes a wonderful end-note to any rich, indulgent meal. Discover the secret of combining this roasty ale to sweets, by pairing with dark chocolate or caramel, or even by pouring it over ice cream. It’s a truly enlightening experience.”

Definitely a different taste with the Belgian yeast but it's a good beer.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
kinkothecarp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Mine was far too roasty when I did it, and I think the yeast played a huge role in accentuateing that. If others on here have done it with success, by all means try! Let me know how it goes and give me the recipe.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
Prionburger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Everyone who's tried what I'm doing is saying it comes off too roasty.

These commercial "Belgian-inspired" stouts all seem to fit the imperial stout or Belgian strong ale styles. Could it be that smaller roasty beers don't work with Belgian yeast?

No success stories out there?

Quick Reply