The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stout Ice Cream Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
kskiles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stout Ice Cream Help

Has anybody made Stout Ice Cream?

Just put together my 2nd batch. I have a Rival home ice cream machine that uses ice and salt around the container and an electric motor assembly that fits on the top to churn the mix.

I have made other ice cream in this machine (no beer in the recipe) and it comes out like a frozen custard. However, I can not get the stout recipe to set up like custard in the machine. I have to take it out of the container and put it in the freezer for 24-48 hours to get it to set up.

Might anybody have an idea as to how to get the ice/salt mixture cold enough to freeze the mixture? I am guessing that the alcohol from the stout lowers the freezing point of the mixture below what is achievable with the ice/salt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Wonder how it would be if you used some reserved wort for the ice cream instead of finished beer...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
edmanster Likes This 
Old 08-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Wonder how it would be if you used some reserved wort for the ice cream instead of finished beer...
that would be awesome for ice cream
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Was just thinking that if you used unfermented wort for the ice cream, you'd still have some sweetness from the wort in it. Plus the grains and such, just not the yeast, flavors. All good stuff too.

I might be looking to get an ice cream machine post move. IF I do, I think I'll have to give this a try. Might try it with my mocha porter recipe, and then put it over a fudge brownie.

Of course, there has to be a way to get it to set when using finished beer... Well, without taking over two days that is.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskiles View Post
...However, I can not get the stout recipe to set up like custard in the machine. I have to take it out of the container and put it in the freezer for 24-48 hours to get it to set up.

Might anybody have an idea as to how to get the ice/salt mixture cold enough to freeze the mixture? I am guessing that the alcohol from the stout lowers the freezing point of the mixture below what is achievable with the ice/salt.
With the added alcohol the freezing temp will definitely be lower. I think giving more time like you are doing is your easiest option. Ice/Salt mix will get well below freezing, but it probably needs more time (and maybe more thermal energy from the freezer) to over come the effect of the alcohol.

I have not tried to make Stout ice cream (great idea though!), but here is what I think might work out better: Mix some wort, rather than finished beer into the ice cream recipe to get the taste you want.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
beaksnbeer

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Many years ago Kolher WI did Ice cream Stouts, They also did Stout floats sounded bad to me as don't care for alot of sweets when drinking. Ice Cream was to sweet for me ends up more like coffee ice cream, the float was just awesome. Make a good vanilla with bean and add scoop to the top of stout.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
Of course, there has to be a way to get it to set when using finished beer... Well, without taking over two days that is.
hold it at °190 for a for a time until the alcohol boils out? maybe a little caramelization wouldn't hert either you think adding the sugar the recipe calls for or the mix comes with would bring out the malts? love me some roasty malts! keeping the bitterness would be awesome too
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 08-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
hold it at °190 for a for a time until the alcohol boils out? maybe a little caramelization wouldn't hert either you think adding the sugar the recipe calls for or the mix comes with would bring out the malts? love me some roasty malts! keeping the bitterness would be awesome too
Maybe use both some finished/fermented beer as well as some reserved wort? You'll get the malty sweetness from the reserved wort, but the flavors the yeast adds, as well as what comes from fermenting, with the finished beer.

I suspect I'll be getting an ice cream maker soon after moving into my new place (expect to have it locked in before the end of the week, early next at the outside). Might give it a shot with some of my mocha porter to see how that translates. At 9% ABV, if I don't cook off the alcohol, it will have a little kick to it.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Oh, my, that sounds so good. And I don't even like ice cream.

I think putting it in the freezer for 24 hours to set up more may be the simplest way to go- I think it's the alcohol that won't allow it to freeze solid in the ice cream freezer.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

What's the ice cream recipe? Adding non-dairy liquids to ice cream recipes can throw things off, too.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Quick Reply