Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Storing Flaked Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Stovetop535
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Storing Flaked Wheat

I purchased half a bag of Flaked Wheat and want to make sure I store it properly. I just zip tie my other bulk grain bags closed and store them in the basement off the ground on a shelf, but I am worried that the flaked wheat will go bad like that. Do I need to get something more air-tight for the flaked wheat?

Thanks
Alex

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
BigEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'd break it down and put it in some air-tight food storage containers. Store in a cool, dry place. The basement may be too damp.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Seal it up as best you can. Vacuum sealed food storage bags with oxygen absorber tabs are a great option. You could also use food grade silicate bags or a few grains of dry rice to absorb moisture in the bag. Store cool, dry and dark if you can. Pretty much the same procedure for any grains, and it's best to use them within six months to a year.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
Stovetop535
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds good. I have a food saver so I will pull it out and bag it up. I would think that would last a pretty long time in a food saver bag.

One other question, some of the grain bags were plastic lined while others are just the thick paper sacks. I would think the plastic lined grain bags would do a better job of maintaining the grain over time compared to the paper grain sacks. Is this the case or should I try and vacuum pack as much of the grain as I can?

Thanks Alex

Quick Reply