The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stone XI Anniversary Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 AM   #251
curry767
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBlack View Post
A really nice thread for a really great brew. Looking forward to how this one turns out. The grains are crushed and ready to go. After a minor set back we should be good to go.

Happy brewing everyone.
How has it turned it out so far mate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 03:38 AM   #252
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curry767 View Post
How has it turned it out so far mate?
I set it back one week or so to make way for Ruination IPA clone (yes I have a very spot on recipe if you want it). As soon as I get the IPA out of the way - out of primary that it - I ll attempt the Sublimely Self Righteous.

Have you made this one yet? If so please do tell how the slight roasted notes, tie with the hoppyness.

Thanks mate and happy brewing.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #253
captainoverspray
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

will be brewing this next week. can't wait for it to be ready.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #254
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBlack View Post
I set it back one week or so to make way for Ruination IPA clone (yes I have a very spot on recipe if you want it). As soon as I get the IPA out of the way - out of primary that it - I ll attempt the Sublimely Self Righteous.

Have you made this one yet? If so please do tell how the slight roasted notes, tie with the hoppyness.

Thanks mate and happy brewing.
Yooper's Ruination recipe's terrific; I've done that one a few times now. This recipe is solid as well, although I admit I tweaked it a bit to add some more hoppiness. I'm planning to give it another go-round soon, as I haven't had it in a year or so and hoppy season approacheth! Between this and the session IPA in primary, it's going to be a tasty spring .

Old 03-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #255
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagee View Post
Yooper's Ruination recipe's terrific; I've done that one a few times now. This recipe is solid as well, although I admit I tweaked it a bit to add some more hoppiness. I'm planning to give it another go-round soon, as I haven't had it in a year or so and hoppy season approacheth! Between this and the session IPA in primary, it's going to be a tasty spring .
Sounds about right to me!

I cant wait for Ruination to be ready. This is my first attempt at it but I just love all homebrew IPAs I have made so far. (Am trying the S.N Celebration clone as we speak, it kicks butt). Let me ask you this: I am planning on adding only Centennials for the Ruination dry hop, do you think its sufficient?

It only makes me look more so forward to S.S.R. My roommate just brought a bomber home yesterday, cant wait to crack that sucker open!

Let me know how your Ruination goes and join the Ruination thread, its got a lot of great info, as always.

Happy brewing!

Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #256
captainoverspray
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

at last this one is in the carboy with a healthy pitch of yeast. used 2oz of chinook at 60 and then 1.5oz of Simcoe and Amirillo at flame out. I have 2.5oz of each for the dry hop. Also had some really good eff with this one and was able to get almost 3 gallons of wort that still had good gravity readings. I plan on boiling that tomorrow with some home grown hops and and some other left over hops for a weaker black IPA.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #257
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoverspray View Post
at last this one is in the carboy with a healthy pitch of yeast. used 2oz of chinook at 60 and then 1.5oz of Simcoe and Amirillo at flame out. I have 2.5oz of each for the dry hop. Also had some really good eff with this one and was able to get almost 3 gallons of wort that still had good gravity readings. I plan on boiling that tomorrow with some home grown hops and and some other left over hops for a weaker black IPA.
Great idea to do the parti-gyle on a brew this massive. I am planning on doing the same this if I get some good efficiency.

However, I have a question: Are you planning on using 2.5 + 2.5 high Alpha hops on the dry hop for 3 USG of brew and wouldnt you say that this is excessive perhaps overkill even?

I am only asking since I am planning on doing a 3 -3.5 USG around 1.080 - 1.083 OG but i am only planning on using 1 oz Simcoe + 1 oz Amarillo.

In any case, your input would be appreciated

Happy Brewing.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #258
captainoverspray
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am going to use the 2.5 of each in the 5 gallon batch. I am planning on different hops all together in the 3 gallon one. I used 1oz of home grown hops from my yard, strain unknown at 60 along with .5oz of columbus and then .5oz of willamete at 10 min. not sure on the dry hop for that one yet.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #259
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoverspray View Post
I am going to use the 2.5 of each in the 5 gallon batch. I am planning on different hops all together in the 3 gallon one. I used 1oz of home grown hops from my yard, strain unknown at 60 along with .5oz of columbus and then .5oz of willamete at 10 min. not sure on the dry hop for that one yet.
Ok mate, I see what you are saying now. I see love this brew, got two batches going there. Cant blame you at all.

I am growing cascades this year to see how that goes, wont crop out till next year though. As for homegrown I think it is more advisable to use them only for aroma and not for bittering since I hear they are lower on the alpha acid and large quantities are required. On the other hand cant say for sure, havent grown any yet.

Your batch with the homegrown hops and such seems quite interesting please do keep us posted and as always...

Happy Brewing!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #260
captainoverspray
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have used them for aroma before and wasn't happy with the flavor. Since I didn't plant them and have no clue what they are I thought what the hell. Otherwise this wort would have been dumped with the grain. This three gallons to MD is just bonus and I plan on trying something different. Maybe some NZ hops.

Quick Reply