Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stone XI Anniversary Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #221
songstre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Actually, there really is no sub for the piney notes of Simcoe. I recenty was told that Sam Calagione from Dogfish bought them all up. Might not be available for a while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #222
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ya, that was what I was worrying about. Oh well, I will hope for the best! I only had 65% efficiency, but being my first attempt I will be super pleased regardless.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #223
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMc View Post
Centennial will give you a more floral taste/aroma. Should be great.
Agree. It's going to be noticeable in a side by side. However, this beer would be very good with the centennial in the dry hop. I think you're beer is going to come out very good. Either way, you will brew it more than once.

I think yours will not be as bitter as the one I brewed, but heck, mine might have been a tad more bitter than the original anyway. I used the tastybrew recipe with the 90 minute boil and boiling the second addition for 10 minutes. I see yours doesn't have as high of a percentage of chinook in the boil, and the rest of your hops have no boil time. That, and the centennial should give you a more floral taste in itself. I bet the citrus taste should give it a good addition.

Please let us know how this one comes out once it has rested in a month or so.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #224
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBrew View Post
Ya, that was what I was worrying about. Oh well, I will hope for the best! I only had 65% efficiency, but being my first attempt I will be super pleased regardless.
Grain bills this big always get lower efficiency. Check preboil gravity and adjust with DME or dextrose to get where you want. The dextrose (1lb I think) worked well for me to get the FG down and make this giant beer more drinkable.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #225
worldzfree
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate View Post
I can't seem to find Carafa III Special at my LHBS. I live in Olympia, WA and the best I could do was find a HBS in Lakewood, WA (20 min north of me) that said they had "Carafa® 500-600L." I called the shop and they had no idea if it was I, II, or III, and had no idea if it was the Special (unhusked), and had no idea what I meant by "unhusked."

The best I can find locally is the standard chocolate and black patent malts.

I am very limited on space, time, and equipment, so I've been planning to use a partial extract/partial grain.

Some other posts have suggested using chocolate malt, some have suggested cold steeping, and some have suggested using Sinamar. While it may be totally kosher as far as German purity laws, seems lame to add a color extract just for color's sake.

Anyone have any ideas? Would using chocolate malt give a drastically different flavor profile?
I talked to my local brew shop about it and they mentioned a list of alternatives. Hope this helps.

-Castle De-Bittered Black
-Weyermann De-husked Carafa I, II and III (these are also know as "Carafa Special" or de-husked)
-Briess Blackprinz

Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #226
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldzfree

I talked to my local brew shop about it and they mentioned a list of alternatives. Hope this helps.

-Weyermann De-husked Carafa I, II and III (these are also know as "Carafa Special" or de-husked)
-Briess Blackprinz
Yes, I use de-bittered black and it works great.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #227
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Simcoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by songstre View Post
Actually, there really is no sub for the piney notes of Simcoe. I recenty was told that Sam Calagione from Dogfish bought them all up. Might not be available for a while.
Farmhouse Brewing Supply still has Simcoe available. I've purchased from them several times and I've made some great Simcoe CDAs with them.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #228
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate

Farmhouse Brewing Supply still has Simcoe available. I've purchased from them several times and I've made some great Simcoe CDAs with them.
I just found Simcoe on morebeer.$8.99 for 8 oz and qualifies for the free shipping.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 03-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #229
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldzfree View Post

-Briess Blackprinz
My LHBS got some Debittered German Black Malt from Brewcraft. I've used it in a couple of CDAs and the results were great.

I've also made some CDAs by cold-steeping a mixture of Black Patent, Roasted Barley, and Chocolate, great results.

Overall, I still prefer using the debittered stuff.

Become a fan of CDA on Facebook.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #230
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Just got my batch bottled. So, I should know in a few weeks how it turned out. The last runnings were actually pretty close to a flat Self Righteous! This was my first time dry hopping and the taste/aroma compared to the sample I took two weeks ago was amazingly different.

Quick Reply