Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stone XI Anniversary Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 03:46 PM   #211
Haputanlas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

However, I should throw in the fact that option 3 would probably be OK as well.

Definitely do NOT go with option two. I think it would completely alter the flavor/aroma profile.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #212
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I think it's probably wise not to tweak this one yet. I'll at least have a baseline. I'm going to do a side by side with a bottle of SSR anyway. I'll be able to tell quickly if I'm missing some of the hop taste. Then, I can just add it to the secondary next time.

Edit: I didn't see your 2nd post, Haputanlas. I may keep it a little longer in the secondary. I'm guessing 2 weeks may do it. I see some people go that long anyway. The only thing I'm wondering is if it is will get more hoppy in the secondary vs in the bottles. I'm guessing just filtering the hops chunks from the bottling bucket is the reason. I think I'll leave this one a little longer in the secondary. Thanks

Old 01-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #213
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I just checked my SG, and it came out 1.025. Pretty close to the target of 1.021 after 13 days. I also had to taste it. Nothing funky to report. It was very bitter though. I'm guessing that is due to only having the hops from the boil in it right now. I'm guessing the time in the secondary, the added dry hops, and the time in the bottles will help it out a bunch. It's still close to an SSR right now.

Here's another question. If my FG looks like it is going to park in the 1.025 range, is there any need to swirl the wort at this point? Sure, I would take care not to churn oxygen into it, but if this thing is done, I don't want to mess with it. It is also going to transfer to the secondary, so I'm sure some yeast cake will get sucked up. I'm guessing it will drop down near the 1.021 target or real close. My vote is not to touch it, but what do you guys think?

Old 01-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #214
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Yeah, just leave it. I love this beer at 1.020ish. The little bit of extra body really brings out the best in this.

Even if it stays at 1.025, I think it will be good.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #215
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well, today it is still at 1.025, and it is now in the secondary with the dry hops. It actually tastes a little more bitter today (just a comment). Another thing I noticed is the final volume. I'm guessing it is only about 4 gallons finished. I lost nearly a half gallon due to trub. I couldn't get anything else to pump through the autosiphon without slugging a bunch of it through. I wonder if I didn't start with enough volume. The recipe came out as stated, but it just seems my final volume is going to be low. I'm only worried that the 3/4 cup of priming sugar may be too much. I'm thinking I may need to go with 5 oz instead of 6.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #216
Bill33525
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Stone Sublime IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
This is what I got directly from Stone Brewery about a month ago. Have not brewed it up yet, but will very soon. XI is by far one of my top favorites.

Stone 11th Anniversary Ale Recipe

Grain Bill:

90% pale malt

5% 60°L Crystal

5% Weyermann Carafa III Special

OG target is 20.5°P (1.082 SG) Terminal Gravity target is 4°P (1.016 SG)

Hops:

Bittering at start of boil: 100% Chinook

Flavor hops added at end of boil or whirlpool: 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo

Target 120 IBU’s.

Ferment with good ale yeast. We used our house yeast.

Dry-Hop with 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo, use LOTS! (we used 1 ½ pounds per barrel).

Good luck and enjoy. Post up if you brew it, let us know how it is.
Just kegged a batch of this wonderful beer; Nice perfume, long roasty finish.
Very balanced beer between the hops and grain flavors. Really excellent formulation.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #217
big supper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I rebrewed this one. First time it ended at 1.014 but this time quit at about 1.018. I think I prefer it dryer, however it has nice body and a great mouthfeel.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:01 AM   #218
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I did a side by side against SSR. Mine was a little more dry and bitter with a little less hop flavor, but pretty close. I used the generic recipe from tasty brew, but somehow I boiled the A/S hops for 10 minutes instead of 5. Not sure why. I guess I just miscalculated. Beersmith said it was 129 IBU, instead of 119. I'm not sure if that made a difference, but I will tweak it for next time. All in all, it was VERY close. Next time, I may increase the dry hop amount and move the A/S boil to 5 minutes like it called for. I may move the chinook out from 90 minutes to 60, as well.

I think it just needs a little tweak from bitter to aroma. Other than that, it's pretty much spot on.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #219
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm brewing this beer right now as my first AG attempt. Aiming for 3.5G using BIAB. Our LHBS was out of Simcoe so I had to substitute with Centennial (which I found on some substitute chart). What differences can I expect based on this?

9.5lbs 2 row
.5 lbs carafa I
.5 lbs crystal 60

1.25 oz Chinook 60min
.5 oz Centennial 0 min
.5 oz Amarillo 0 min
.5 oz Centennial dry hop
.5 oz Amarillo dry hop

Using White Labs 007 Dry English Ale.

3.5 gallon batch

Old 03-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #220
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Centennial will give you a more floral taste/aroma. Should be great.

Quick Reply