Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stone Enjoy By Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
mooshimanx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Well, I think you're on the right track. I know Stone typically only has two hop additions, one at 90 for bittering and one big whirlpool. It's tough to adjust a big commercial whirlpool recipe to a homebrew system, where our cooling/whirlpooling is going to be way different. One thing to note is that Stone's house yeast is WLP007. I'd try to grab that if you can.

Cheers!
Nope, Stone's house yeast is proprietary (although as with every single brewery in San Diego, the yeast lab that maintains their banks is White Labs).

The actual number for Stone's strain is WLP5036 (which you can't buy), but some people have suspected that WLP090 is the same yeast. White Labs for their part has denied that WLP090 is any particular brewery's strain, but the description of Stone's house yeast is very, very similar to that used to describe WLP090.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #12
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshimanx View Post
Nope, Stone's house yeast is proprietary (although as with every single brewery in San Diego, the yeast lab that maintains their banks is White Labs).

The actual number for Stone's strain is WLP5036 (which you can't buy), but some people have suspected that WLP090 is the same yeast. White Labs for their part has denied that WLP090 is any particular brewery's strain, but the description of Stone's house yeast is very, very similar to that used to describe WLP090.

Awesome! The go to for stone clones has always been (or so I've experienced) WLP007 but that never made much sense to me- why would stone work with White to develop a proprietary yeast strain just for their brewery and then have WL sell it to every homebrewer on the planet?

That WLP090 might be Stone's strain sort of lines up- it's probably a very clean british strain (high flocculation/oxygen requirements, finicky with temperatures) lines up with the common notion that Stone's yeast comes from an old british line, but I still think it's probably its own thing. White has said before it's not from any San Diego brewery and while it might be related to 5036, I don't think White Labs is lying flat out about WLP090.

Thanks for the info- where'd you find that out?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #13
ahurd110
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Do we have any updates on this? I am sipping a 4.01.13 and it is freakin awesome.

I also recently brewed an IPA with a heavy Nelson/Galaxy dry-hop and it had some similarities, but this is way less fruity and more resinous/dank, so I am guessing the flavor hops are pretty important. Would love anymore insight on the recipe process.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Holter
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

No real update. That recipe is pretty darned close to the flavor profile for Enjoy By, but its not a clone. After my side by side tasting I think you would be able to scale back the flavor hops 10-20% and you might get closer. My beer was a little bit too intense on the hop flavors where the Enjoy By is a smooth hop flavor (at least for my palate). I would say the most important thing would be to get your beer to finish at around 1.010 using my recipe as a starter and you'll have yourself an amazing IIPA.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I came across this clone recipe yesterday and supposedly the malt bill is just pale malt and sugar according to an e-mail to Mitch Steele.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Awesome, good find! Thanks!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
blackey73
Recipes 

Default Enjoy By

Mitch sent me a message via google+ and the grain bill is a 50/50 blend of american and english pale ale malt. No crystal malts at all.

enjoyby.png  

Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Stone uses San Diego Super Yeast? Well, they are (sort of) in San Diego ...

Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
Stone uses San Diego Super Yeast? Well, they are (sort of) in San Diego ...
No, but it's likely their proprietary strain has similar characteristics. High flocculation/oxygen requirement, low ester british strain with high alcohol tolerance and high attenuation. Until WLP090 came out, WLP007 was the go-to strain for Stone clones, but Stone's actual yeast isn't available to the public.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #20
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ya, I'm getting ready to brew this in a couple weeks. Mitch said the grist is a mix of american/english 2 row, and some dextrose. I would love to know what the FG of the beer is, but we didn't get any of the 04/01/13 batch. I'm assuming it's roughly 1.010.

From that point, this beer shouldn't be too hard to clone, they give us all the other info. Mitch confirmed the late kettle and whirlpool additions a little over 1lb/bbl (3.25-3.5oz). The dry hop is 1lb/bbl of Nelson, and 1lb/bbl of Galaxy. I'm comfortable working with WLP007, so attenuation shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply