Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stone Brewing - Double Bastard Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #51
smears
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The kit I got uses all chinook.

I also just did a brewer's best russian imperial stout, but added 3lbs of extract to it, 1oz of chinook at 30 mins and dry hopped it on another oz for about 2 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #52
smears
Recipes 

So I brewed this beer, (the ahs extract kit) the other day.

about 24 hours after I pitched the yeast, (a 2 pint starter), the lid to my bucket looked like it was about to blast off the top. Like the airlock was moving so fast, but the pressure couldn't get out. The lid was actually stretched upward in the center to form a dome. Looked like a balloon about to pop.

I think it's safe to say I have some active fermentation going on. So far the color and the smell are good.

I cracked open the lid a bit and it released a ton of air pressure, then I closed it back and put a hose in the grommet and ran it to a growler w/ sanitizer.

Pretty excited so far.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #53
smears
Recipes 

Just bumping this thread because I racked this one over to a secondary yesterday just to make sure it's nice and cleared up, and I'll be bottling it probably Monday. It smelled amazing just in the fermenter, like raisins and hops and almost syrupy like molasses or something, (the smell not the consistency). Can't wait to so the side by side comparison.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #54
shmEk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looking forward to the report back

Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #55
smears
Recipes 

Finally bottled this one last night. Now it's countdown to carbonation. Pretty exciting stuff.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #56
smears
Recipes 

Drank two. Still a bit green but holding some carbonation at this point. Definitely a really great beer. I've only had the double bastard a few times here and there so it's hard to do a side by side right now. I am holding one bomber of the 2011 release. Once this brew is well conditioned, I'll do a side by side and report back on the accuracy of the AHS kit, but for now I will say that it's delicious and I will be drinking lots of it.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #57
Daparish
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Didn't "Can you Brew It" pretty much confirm that AB is only Pale malt, Special B and Chinook hops? The closest yeast to Stone's proprietary yeast is Wyeast London ESB 1968, which I have heard from several sources.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #58
smears
Recipes 

The Double Bastard kit I got was 1 kind of grain and 1 kind of hops.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #59
shmEk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daparish View Post
Didn't "Can you Brew It" pretty much confirm that AB is only Pale malt, Special B and Chinook hops? The closest yeast to Stone's proprietary yeast is Wyeast London ESB 1968, which I have heard from several sources.
Still seems like a bit of a debate, but darned close as a verdict from all I can see at BrewNetwork. I've heard from a few people Stone is using C150L though, and plan to try a side by side of that and the special B. Unfortunately, I don't even have a pot atm. Have to make it to decide really IMO

Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #60
smears
Recipes 

The one I did was an extract kit w/ the grains for steeping. All the grains were crystal 120L and the extract was some liquid, some dry, all amber if that helps. I tried another one night before last and it's coming along really nicely. I think by the time it's fully carbed and in bottles for maybe 2 months it should be ready for a side by side test. Regardless of how it does, I think it's gonna be a good beer. I have to wonder if since they do a different release every year if the recipe would change. That might make it hard if you were trying to clone a specific year, but easier if you just wanted a big delicious beer in the range of the double bastard. Gravity readings indicated that my batch should be about 11.2% abv, and the 2010 release I'm sitting on is at 11.2 as well, so I'm thinking that's a good sign. Exciting stuff people. I can't wait to start chugging these!

Quick Reply