The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #221
drawdy10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My version of this recipe which was like 6 months old by now I'd not place in the homebrew competition is was in but it was the only one of my beers to make it to the finals... Only two bombers left the comp ate 3 bombers
Also this aged vs the aged 15 was uncanny how similar they are.... Must brew again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #222
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I can't believe j haven't brewed this yet.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #223
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't like the Pacific Jade in this recipe. It seems to overpower the rest of the hops. It may just be unique to the crop I got though. The 1oz I put in towards the end of the boil completely over powers the Citra and Nelson Sauvin I used. Next I would dial it back to .5oz (for half batch).

Old 08-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #224
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just to update, what 5 gallon AG recipe should we go with? Any suitable subs for Nelson or Jade?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #225
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I didn't use nelson or jade I did chinook Amarillo and citra, the OP is the recipe, adjust for your system of course

Old 10-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #226
MFPH
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

We made this recipe (more or less) and it came out absolutely awesome! They've only been allowed to condition 9 days and I'm having a hard time staying out of them already!

We rounded up all the hops to the nearest ounce and were as (ahem) generous with the grains, did the Citra adds at 30 and 15, used Safale US-05. Primary 10 days in a bucket, then racked over and dry-hopped (rounding the Nelson up, too) into a glass carboy with the Candi Sugar for another week, then racked *that* into a light-char Corsair Distillery Triple-Smoked whiskey barrel where it sat for a month.

At first we were set to be sad about the OG. It had parked at ~1.053 *BUT* that 1lb. Candi Sugar add should have brought it up an additional +.030 (from what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong). After adding the sugar, the lock was poppin' by the time I took the bucket outside and walked back (est. < 2min.) So, 1.083 corrected and at bottling it was 1.008 (~65-70ºF).

I bottled with 4.7oz. Briess Golden (DME) and am getting about a 1/2 finger of not-very-long-lasting head as of day 9, but the combination of the hop character and the whiskey barrel came out surprisingly good. Thank you for the recipe!!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #227
SaevaVeritas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this yesterday. I had WLP099 in a two liter starter but it never got going I decided to throw it in with 2 packs of safale 05. For those who used it should I get to higher ABV or will this limit me in that regard?

Old 11-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #228
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am looking to make an extract version of this. Would substituting 12# of pale extract work for the 2 row? Also would the boil time then change to 60 mins and would I drop the volume of the boil down to say 7-7.5 gallons? Anything else I would need to change, I.e. hop amounts? Thanks

Old 11-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #229
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 187 Posts

For a 5.5g batch (into the fermenter), you could use 10.5 lbs of light DME. That would give you a OG of ~1.102. You can add a lot of this toward then end of boil to prevent carmelization; it wont really affect color since this is very black anyway. You may consider swapping some of that out for some table sugar to try to help with attenuation, maybe .5lbs or so since there is already some candi sugar in there. Without that, you may have a hard time getting a low FG. Make sure you pitch a lot of yeast, at least 2 packs of S-05. If going the liquid route, MrMalty recommends an 8.5L starter with 1 pack, or about 3.5L with 2 packs. Also make sure you get a lot of oxygen in the wort prior to pitching. And start with a blow-off tube, you will most likely need it anyway.

For the boil time, you should be able to drop to 60 minutes, so just adjust the volume accordingly for your boil off rate. 7-7.5 would be fairly normal. Since you can do a full boil, you shouldn't have to adjust the hop amounts.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #230
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Skeezer if I add the extract later in the boil doesn't that effect hop utilization? Does it matter? I usually use LME hence why the 12# oh and could I just use another .5 lbs of candi sugar or is there a better simple sugar to use?

Quick Reply