Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #121
SLCRebellion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah I used my 6.5 gal Carboy and put a blowoff tube to begin with. I lost maybe a liter worth of stuff, but the noises coming from it were awesome. Sounded like a M60 machine gun on full auto.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #122
melkor
Recipes 

subscribed

Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #123
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 203 Posts

Judgement Day.

To be fair, I must disclose that the Stone version is a couple months older. Mine is about 2 months now, would of been ready quicker, but I have been traveling a lot, and lazy. Also, I like to think I know good beer, but I am better at drinking it than describing it. Also, in the email from Mitch at stone, they originally dry hopped with Pacific Jade and Nelson Sauvin, but changed that to Pacific at flameout and Nelson dry hop. Not sure which one I have.

That said, color and head is pretty much spot on. Home brew version has better retention.

Aroma of the Stone has dropped off some due to not being fresh. More of the carmel almost molasses smell, with some pine/spiciness. Light on the fruit/citrus. Home brew version is still very hoppy in aroma. Some pine, and weird fruit. It's my first time using Nelson Sauvin, so don't know exactly how to describe it, but it smells great.

Taste, the roastiness and bitterness are damn near perfect. Mine finished around 1.026. I was hoping for lower but was lazy and didn't do a starter and may have mashed high. That said, I thing body-wise they are pretty close, as did my co-taster. Stone may be sweeter. Little more hop flavor on the home brew, probably due to the age. The hop flavor that is present is really close, just a little stronger in the home brew. For 10%+ Black IPA, this is smooth.

Overall, I am not sure what I would change. Probably mash lower to get a bit drier for my personal preference. I think the grain and hops are close. Maybe scale back the sauvin a little and up the Jade a bit. Too bad it isn't a year round beer to compare fresh to fresh.

Now, which one is the real deal?:

image-3079678178.jpg

Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #124
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yours is on the right. You said yours had better head retention!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #125
socalhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Warming up the water to steep grains now. Going to be making an extract version of this one. You dont really realize how much hops this thing is asking for until your buying them.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #126
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalhomebrewer
Warming up the water to steep grains now. Going to be making an extract version of this one. You dont really realize how much hops this thing is asking for until your buying them.
I think that to myself whenever I design an IPA on beer smith. I'm like, ya, mote hops! Then I get to the store and go, wtf was I thinking.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #127
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
Judgement Day.
Overall, I am not sure what I would change. Probably mash lower to get a bit drier for my personal preference. I think the grain and hops are close. Maybe scale back the sauvin a little and up the Jade a bit.
Well, your description and thoughts on changes are about spot on with mine although I used Simcoe and Cascade hops. This is a very smooth and tasty brew. I tasted the Stone and mine on the same day. Although the details of the hops are different, the flavor/aroma/bitterness intensity is about the same. Although the malt sweetness is about the same between the two, I prefer a drier brew. So, I would change a few things. I would use a more attenuating yeast (I believe mine was a Scottish Ale yeast but was rescued from Racer 5) and mash at lower temperature. I would also add my chocolate and carafa late in the mash to decrease the intensity of the roast.

Great brew just a little off my style ideal. My next dark brew is going to be somewhere between this an my Old Rasputin clone, which are really quite similar.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #128
socalhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this bad boy up on Saturday and surprisingly enough for me, it went off without a hitch really. The only hitch I hit was when I was toping off the carboy, I forgot that I also had a 2L starter that I needed to pour in, so my final volume was a little higher then expected and the starting gravity was a little lower. The only other issue was that my LHBS didnt have any Pacific Jade so I went with ahtanum. Had no logic behind the choice other then thinking, bet no one has tried this combo yet.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #129
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Welcome to the club socal! I am thinking the ahtanum is a good choice i like that hop as well.

I bottled mine last night.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #130
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

So I wonder what we are at for total brews with this recipe? Skeezer you have started quite the frenzy. I think at yeast 5 people have done it that have responded on here.

Quick Reply