Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #101
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 199 Posts

I guess I was at $41 or so. As far as Nelson goes, I don't know where to find any now. The Pacific Jade can be found online. brewmasters warehouse is local for me, I know they had them recently.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #102
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Made this recipe back on 1/22. Hit 1.090 OG. When I racked/dry hopped on 2/9, I was down to 1.020. Gravity sample was amazing, but plenty roasty. Looking to keg it up this weekend and push on nitro.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #103
Wernerherzog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My comment about aging had primarily to do with the fact that the beer is spose to be 10 percent. Isn't it going to have an unpleasant alcohol burn? Also, although the roast isn't as big as a stout, won't the small amount it does have need time?

I finally brewed this today with a few substitutions/mess ups. I did 1/4th candy sugar and 3/4 a lb cane sugar since that's what I had around. Also used belgian debittered instead of carafa. I forgot to add the pacific jade at the end as I was thinking it was a dry hop addition. Looks like now it will be a dry hop addition. Also, instead of 05, I used the big 04 old ale cake I had laying around . Shouldn't do too much more than add a few esters and leave it a big maltier and thick.

I mashed in with 8 gallons, retrieved 5, sparged with 4, (was still running with 1.035 or 38 at the end of that 4), then sparged with another 2 (finished running 1.012), to end up with a preboil volume of 11 gallons. I boiled down to 5.25 roughly in about 2 hrs and 15 minutes. That gave me a wort of 1.120. Mashed 90 minutes.

This is going to be a little bigger than I intended...

Old 02-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #104
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So my best friend is the Mid Atlantic Stone Rep. He was over the other night and I poured him a sample. He asked me to bottle some for a big meeting he has coming up in a few weeks with his co-workers. he wants to throw it down on the table and ask them "what beer is this? 15th Anniversary? Not really!" He knows his beer, and if he liked it that much, then I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. trust me, he won't give a compliment if he can at all avoid it, especially to me. So thanks to skeezerpleezer for the recipe! It is awesome, and I have it on my nitro line. Quite tasty!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #105
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Awesome, I am glad it worked out for you. I finally put my 1st bottle in the fridge earlier, so will be having one later. If it come out good, I will be brewing it again soon. I have plenty of all the ingredients except candy sugar.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #106
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok, I got anxious so cracked one open. I must admit it is really close. Roastiness is about spot on, bitterness is there, aroma is similar but not as pungent as a fresh Stone 15. That could be partially due to the fact I waited over a month between end of dry hop and bottling (lazy and traveling). For the next go around, I will mash a few degrees lower, maybe up the candy sugar a little to help dry it out, pitch a big starter, and maybe up the dry hops some.

Oh yeah, color is pretty close also:

image-2360300027.jpg

Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #107
RallyintheValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
So my best friend is the Mid Atlantic Stone Rep. He was over the other night and I poured him a sample. He asked me to bottle some for a big meeting he has coming up in a few weeks with his co-workers. he wants to throw it down on the table and ask them "what beer is this? 15th Anniversary? Not really!" He knows his beer, and if he liked it that much, then I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. trust me, he won't give a compliment if he can at all avoid it, especially to me. So thanks to skeezerpleezer for the recipe! It is awesome, and I have it on my nitro line. Quite tasty!
That is a serious endorsement.

Also, I need to choose more awesome friends.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #108
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like this recipe. Stone 15 is a fantastic beer. Can you post another picture showing the head color?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #109
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyintheValley View Post
That is a serious endorsement.

Also, I need to choose more awesome friends.
that's the way I took it too! And all you need to do is be the only other blunt guy in a freshman college class full of pretentious pricks. We were like long lost brothers! Funny, same degree, though he has much more fun in his job than I do in mine!

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #110
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

forumrunner_20120221_194832.jpg

forumrunner_20120221_194906.jpg

Sorry for sideways pictures, on my phone. Its pretty close on head color though. I am gonna try to do a side by side Friday, so will get a picture then. I needed an excuse to drink a couple bombers of ~10.5% beer anyway.

Quick Reply