Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Steam Beer (California Common)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
NUCC98
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Steam Beer (California Common)

Bottled my first attempt at a Cali Common a few days ago. Tried one last night. It was from a True Brew kit, so I didn't take any creative license with it, but the initial taste was very interesting. It had a pronounced "doughy" taste, like drinking bread, and a strong citrusy aftertaste, almost like grapefruit. Is this common, or will those flavors go away after it ages more?

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Did the kit have you add sugar?

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 02-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx
Did the kit have you add sugar?
Good God no.......just the priming sugar.....here's the ingredients, actually...

http://www.crosby-baker.com/common.htm

Old 02-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Hmm...dunno. It's probably just young. When did you make it?

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 02-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx
Hmm...dunno. It's probably just young. When did you make it?
I think I brewed it up on January 14th or 15th....spent a week in primary, a week in secondary, and got bottled this past Friday. It's still not carbonated yet, so it might just be a young taste. I've only had Anchor Steam to compare to, but haven't had THAT since like 1999...

Old 02-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCC98
I think I brewed it up on January 14th or 15th....spent a week in primary, a week in secondary, and got bottled this past Friday. It's still not carbonated yet, so it might just be a young taste. I've only had Anchor Steam to compare to, but haven't had THAT since like 1999...
When I used bottles, I always let them carbonate for 14 days before I tired one. Get even better in about 4 weeks. Waiting is the tuff part!! That's why I went to kegging and force carbonating.

DeRoux's Broux

Old 02-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
ukalimbe
Recipes 

That doughy taste probably comes from the yeast--what lager yeast did you use?

In a perfect world, Cali Commons spend a few weeks at close to lager temps after the primary ferment completes. Primary ferment should be around 60 or just below (gain, in a perfect world). Letting the brew clear in the cold for an extra few weeks would probably help minimize that doughy taste and make it cleaner and crisper. Just keep the bottles as cold as possible for a few weeks and see how ot goes..

Citrus comes from Cascade hops. I think they taste like grapefruits covered in cut grass.

Tim

Old 02-04-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukalimbe
That doughy taste probably comes from the yeast--what lager yeast did you use?

In a perfect world, Cali Commons spend a few weeks at close to lager temps after the primary ferment completes. Primary ferment should be around 60 or just below (gain, in a perfect world). Letting the brew clear in the cold for an extra few weeks would probably help minimize that doughy taste and make it cleaner and crisper. Just keep the bottles as cold as possible for a few weeks and see how ot goes..

Citrus comes from Cascade hops. I think they taste like grapefruits covered in cut grass.

Tim

I agree with the Cascade taste, but I think that's what I like best about it! The doughy taste is going away as the days go by....probably the best part of homebrewing...coming home from work and thinking "Hmmm...wonder what today's beer is gonna taste like? Well...only one way to find out!!"

Old 02-08-2005, 01:39 AM   #9
GPBurdell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Suggestions on Steam Beer

You definately bottled too early. I made a batch of Steam Beer on the same weekend as you and I just bottled it yesterday. I gave it 10 days in primary and 10 days in secondary at 55 degrees. I've cellared it for at least another 7 weeks at 45 degrees. I would suggest waiting to open it until late March or April.

Your reference to the bread taste may also be an indication of bacterial contamination. It might go away as it ages but you might want to watch your sanitation techniques. If possible, avoid piping by mouth since this is also a source of possible contamination.

Have patience. It will definatly be worth it.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #10
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBurdell
You definately bottled too early. I made a batch of Steam Beer on the same weekend as you and I just bottled it yesterday. I gave it 10 days in primary and 10 days in secondary at 55 degrees. I've cellared it for at least another 7 weeks at 45 degrees. I would suggest waiting to open it until late March or April.

Your reference to the bread taste may also be an indication of bacterial contamination. It might go away as it ages but you might want to watch your sanitation techniques. If possible, avoid piping by mouth since this is also a source of possible contamination.

Have patience. It will definatly be worth it.
Thanks for the advice. The bread taste is settling out, replaced by a nice malty sweetness as it ages. My fermenters are usually a little warmer than those you described....would that have anything to do with the shorter fermenting time?

Quick Reply