*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Spruce Tips are Popping...Do I Dare???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #131
QuercusMax
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I just noticed that all the evergreens in my front yard have started showing their tips. I believe my big tree is a spruce of some sort (have to double-check, of course), and if it is, I'm going to brew this Spruce Pale Ale this weekend:

3 Gallons:

5lb 2-row
1lb Munich
.5lb C40

.25oz Magnum@60
3oz Spruce Tips@15
.5oz Cascade@10
.25oz Cascade@0

S04 or US-05.

I plan on freezing a bunch of the tips for use in a followup batch if I like the results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #132
extra_medium
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I wouldn't freeze them, just put a bunch in some vodka. Pine flavored vodka is pretty good alone or you can flavor a fermentor or keg to taste.

Salute!

_____
~XM~

Best Hop Manual Ever
My brew sculpture

Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #133
Mike37
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Just so everyone knows, don't try using older growth. My test batch was horribly tannic and resiny even though there is no tannic or resin taste when eating the stuff.

The new tips are popping on my trees and they have a sharper and grassier bitterness than the older stuff, but overall the same flavor. I think I might just have yucky tasting trees, lol.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #134
ten80
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

500g Sitka Spruce tips added to 6-gal pale ale at flameout. Will use a hop bag next time as they soak up a ton of liquid and add all sorts of needles to the trub, some of which passed into my fermenter. I brewed a batch last year with spruce tips added at 30 minutes, but I think that was too much as they turned to mush and I could smell the spruce-ness boiling off.

I also did a quick dry-hopping experiment with the same dosing. The result was a distinct spruce aroma, but the flavor was overwhelmed by lingering Mountain Dew flavor from what I thought was a thoroughly cleaned pop bottle. Will try again.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #135
winebeerfirsttime
Recipes 

Default Recipes for Spruce tip Beer

I have made many different kinds of wine and would like to make one beer. We have a Christmas tree farm and I think it would be cool to make a spruce tip beer. Does anyone know any good recipes that are easy for a first timer? I would like to make a blond beer if that’s possible.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #136
QuercusMax
Recipes 

I bottled my Spruce Pale Ale today. In my sample off the siphon, I got a really nice bright spruce flavor that went well with the cascade hops. It was piney and citrusy, with nice malt flavor from the munich and sweetness from the crystal.

Can't wait to try it once it is chilled and carbonated.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #137
QuercusMax
Recipes 

...and the verdict is in: fantastic! I wish I had made 5 gallons of this stuff instead of 3. 1 oz of spruce tips per gallon at 10 minutes is just about perfect. It's present without being overwhelming, and marries nicely with the cascade hops. Easily the best pale ale I've made.

Too bad I have to wait another year to make more...

Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #138
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds great! I've got my tips sprouting and ready to be picked. I tried something similar to you but used Centennial. I think I have to remove those hops so I can evaluate the contribution of just the tips. I couldn't pick 'em out and others didn't want to try the beer because they were afraid. 1oz/gallon @ 10min will be my guide, thanks! If I need finishing hops I can always dry hop the beer later.

On Deck: English Bitter, RIS

Old 11-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #139
Agnar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

OOH the choices to make by tomorrow morning... Thanks everybody for the last 14 pages and 4 some-od years past. Doing a porter recipe only gruit style. I have 5oz fresh(frozen) spruce tips and 2oz mugwort to pack into my somewhat light grain bill of 9# 2 row, 1.5# Brit chocolate. Any last minute advice is welcome. I'm torn between 5oz spruce at 60 min or 3oz at 60/ 2oz at 10. The mugwort will be an oz at 60 and another oz at 30. Mashing at 152, but maybe 154 would balance better in case the spruce will overwhelm.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply