The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > spring water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
troybinso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default spring water

I have access to a spring, and I would like to try to use that water for my next batch instead of the "spring water" you can get in the store. I am concerned, of course, about the sediment and other stuff in the water. What would be the best way to filter that stuff out? Do I have to boil?

I am an extract brewer and typically put a couple of gallons of cold water in the fermenter before I add the wort, so I would prefer not boiling and then cooling the water if possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Without testing the water for bactiria, I would not use it without first running it through a filter or boiling it. Use a Brita Pitcher system to filter it first unless you are sure it's free of any bacteria.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
troybinso
Recipes 

I was under the impression that brita filters just work on some minerals, chlorine and the like, but not bacteria. It's a pretty safe bet that the water has some bacteria in it, but i can get the water pretty close to the source. Its not like there is going to be deer poop in it. Anyway, does the brita filter take out bacteria?

Old 08-16-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Any bacteria would be killed through the boil, anyway. Certainly, though, you'll want to boil all of this water, even if you do a partial you'll want to boil the water you add to top-off the fermenter. Far too great a chance of a bacterial infection, boil it to be safe. That means you'll have to take extra steps to aerate before pitching, not that big a deal.

At the end of the day, not sure how much of a difference it will really make in the end product, but it's still cool to be able to say that the beer was made with local water.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah, you are right. They only have an activated charcoal filter.

Give it a shot. You could always call it Deer Poop Pale Ale.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Boiling and cooling 1 or 2 gallons of water is no biggie. If you have another pot just boil it and set it into your sink w/ some ice and water and bring the temp down. Then dump it in your fermenter.

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Quick Reply