*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Spring and Summer? Time for my first Wit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
KyleWolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Spring and Summer? Time for my first Wit

Hey everyone.

So with spring and summer around the corner (especially here with temps already reaching 70 some days) I am looking to start on a spring/summer project. Thinking I want to produce my first wit. Going to be a fairly light beer with lower gravity and of course not much hop. I know my recipe is fairly square and straight forward, I am just curious as to the recommendations on yeast. I have narrowed them down to two and I just wanted some opinions on which would work best with my recipe. Wanted something fairly clean, and not plumy or bubble-gummy. Also I am going to go a bit off style with some american hops

OG- 1.043
FG- 1.008
SRM- 3.2
IBU- 11.4

5.00lb Pilsner
3.50lb Wheat Malt
0.125 oz Citra 60min
0.125 oz Citra 15min
0.125 oz Citra 05min
.75oz Orange Peel, Bitter
.75oz Crushed Coriander

The yeasts I am considering are:

WLP410 Belgian Wit II Ale Yeast
Less phenolic than WLP400, and more spicy. Will leave a bit more sweetness, and flocculation is higher than WLP400. Use to produce Belgian Wit, spiced Ales, wheat Ales, and specialty Beers.
Attenuation: 70-75%
Flocculation: Low to Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 67-74°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

OR

Wyeast 3944 | Belgian Witbier™

This versatile witbier yeast strain can be used in a variety of Belgian style ales. This strain produces a complex flavor profile dominated by spicy phenolics with low to moderate ester production. It is a great strain choice when you want a delicate clove profile not to be overshadowed by esters. It will ferment fairly dry with a slightly tart finish that compliments the use of oats, malted and unmalted wheat. This strain is a true top cropping yeast requiring full fermenter headspace of 33%.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 72-76%
Temperature Range: 62-75F, 16-24C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11 to12% ABV

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!
Kyle

Currently in the works...

Primary 1:Honey Rye Saison
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Up next: Rye Amber Ale, Brett Braggot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2169 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

Looks good to me. I like all kinds of different yeasts in my wit, from authentic Belgian strains, to American strains for a less funky flavor. My only concern is leaving as much tart out of the beer as possible, since I don't care for it. You may have a different opinion.

I think American Hops would pair very will with a Wit, although I admit I've only used EKG I think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply