Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Spotted Cow Extract Clone Help / Challenge...Will Donate $25 to HomeBrewTalk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
Badger39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Im coming to that same conclusion. Regardless, I appreciate all the help, and if the beer turns out well Ill have to keep up my end of the bargian.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4262 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger39 View Post
Im coming to that same conclusion. Regardless, I appreciate all the help, and if the beer turns out well Ill have to keep up my end of the bargian.
You can definitely do a partial mash in a grain bag, though, so it would be just like an extract recipe with steeping grains. Let us know if you need help with the conversion.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You could also consider using rice syrup solids they can just be added like DME. The corn/rice should not contribute any flavor so they can be used interchangeable.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
Badger39
Recipes 

Ill do the leg work and work out the conversion after the Packer game (thank god for Sunday Ticket), hell, I need to learn how to do it some day. Ill post what I come up with to see if you guys think it looks good.

I didn't know that about the rice syrup, and Ill also look to see how that could affect the recipe, but maybe its just me, but it seems like you can taste the 'corniness' in the taste of spotted cow, though its not overpowering.

Again, thanks for the responses, the knowledge on this board is part of the reason why I posted my question here, lots of seasoned vets willing to help newer brewers like me.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #15
Badger39
Recipes 

Looking at the recipe that was provided, the non-enzymatic items used are:
8 oz. Raw barley
4 oz. Flaked corn
4 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)

To covert the sugars your supposed to mash it with enzymatic grains (type 1 or 2), but his recpe apparently doesn't call for any type one or two grains (I think)? So to make this an extract version would I want to add some two row (which is enzymatic) to help convert it? Am I on ethe right track?

I know how to covert the rest to DME, but the other grains are straining my knowledge! Or would symply subsitituting the flaked corn with rice syrup take care of the (eg: mash the barley, cara pils, and rice solids?) Any advice?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4262 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger39 View Post
Looking at the recipe that was provided, the non-enzymatic items used are:
8 oz. Raw barley
4 oz. Flaked corn
4 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)

To covert the sugars your supposed to mash it with enzymatic grains (type 1 or 2), but his recpe apparently doesn't call for any type one or two grains (I think)? So to make this an extract version would I want to add some two row (which is enzymatic) to help convert it? Am I on ethe right track?

I know how to covert the rest to DME, but the other grains are straining my knowledge! Or would symply subsitituting the flaked corn with rice syrup take care of the (eg: mash the barley, cara pils, and rice solids?) Any advice?
Using that recipe, I'd mash the raw barley, corn, carapils, and munich together along with 2 pounds of 2-row. You can mash ("steep") that in a grain bag in 6.5 quarts of water at 153 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, dunking the bag often. Lift the grain bag out, and pour 2.5 gallons of 170 degree water over it (you can use a colander and put the grain bag right in the colander while you do this over the pot). I've never heard of using raw barley before, though, to be honest. I'd use flaked barley in this case.

Then, you could add the DME and boil as usual. That would give you about a 3 gallon boil.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #17
Badger39
Recipes 

Yooper, thanks for the help, Il be picking up the ingredients today and Ill let yall know how it turns out!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Any updates? I am culturing the Spotted Cow yeast right now, and hope to be working out a good clone in the next few batches.

Let me know how your clones have turned out.

Thanks,

Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Where does anyone see 4 oz. Dextrine malt ?????

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #20
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anyone have success with this? I'm planning on picking up what I need today to brew Saturday, wondering how it turned out for others.

Yooper, you mention in one of the posts from 9-14-08 to mash some munich with the grains, but I don't see how much. Also how much DME should be added for the boil? Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by Slowfro; 04-28-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply