Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Spotted Cow Extract Clone Help / Challenge...Will Donate $25 to HomeBrewTalk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 02:17 AM   #111
BrewSpook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I pulled a small sample off the keg today... mmm mmm good. I definitely mashed too high, its got a big body to it, and I didnt use the right kolsch, but damn its a tasty beer. Time to order for another batch.

Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #112
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiemofo View Post
Huh... so I cereal mashed for nothing! Although it was a fun new, experience... I might even do it the same way again when I brew a second batch.
No process is ever for nothing. But strictly speaking you do not need to cereal mash for this recipe. That was just my intention for this recipe. Maybe try it without and report back the differences.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 AM   #113
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

BrewSpook, how is it? Which recipe did you use?

Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #114
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
No process is ever for nothing. But strictly speaking you do not need to cereal mash for this recipe. That was just my intention for this recipe. Maybe try it without and report back the differences.
Yeah I might do that... all my friends want me to brew this up again.

How close does that NB recipe look to this?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #115
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So looking again at this recipe...

4 lbs 12.6 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 61.91 %
1 lbs 7.8 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 19.28 %
10.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.09 %
7.2 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.81 %
6.1 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.92 %
1.26 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (60 min)Hops 18.9 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [Starter Yeast-Ale

If i wanted to mash as much grain as I can to minimize the amount of extract... I can drop the DME down to 3# (since it's sold in a 3# bag). Take the 1# 12.6oz left over, times that by 1.4 to get roughly 2.5# addition Pale Malt.

So the new recipe would be:
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 61.91 %
1 lbs 7.8 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 19.28 %
3 lbs 2 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.09 %
7.2 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.81 %
6.1 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.92 %

So I would be mashing 5.3 lbs ? Does that conversion seem proper? And I can just mash the Maize (corn) and flaked barley with the rest of the grain?

Old 09-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #116
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The NB recipe looks completely different. I cant believe it would taste like spotted cow. There is hardly any corn in it, and it uses ale yeast instead of kolsh.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #117
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I really want to try this one.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 AM   #118
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wookie,
I notice that our recipes are about equal on corn at 18-19% of the grain bill. You have about 70% base malt, and I have 55%. My flaked barley is at 13%, and yours is at 4-5%, so those are two differences in amounts. The last difference is that I am using Vienna, and you are using Munich.
Palmer says Munich gives an amber color, and Vienna is lighter and sweeter than Munich. I was going to up the Vienna in my next brew. I felt my color was not as bright as Spotted Cow. Do you think I should stick with the Vienna or should I add some Munich? I don't want it to get darker, just brighter. What do you think.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #119
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think I can answer that. I choose Munich in this recipe because I have used Munich a lot and know how it works. I have only dabbled with Vienna and so far it has not impressed me. I can get very dry and malty notes out of Munich even in light beers and I have not been as successful with Vienna. (I admit it could be mental, I really avoid Crystal malts as much as possible too on the same suspicions.)

That said, maybe Vienna is what gets this beer the closest...

13% flaked barley seems rather high to me. How was the mouthfeel on that thing? Seems like that much unmalted barley would give the beer a creaminess not present in SC. Again, experimenting is the only way to dial in, that is just my feel for it.

I am not sure what you mean by "brighter". Generally, brightness refers to the clarity of the beer. In which case, you could use clarifiers or filtering to further brighten the beer. A long cold crash or lager is imperative for clear beer with Koelsch yeast as it is not a good floculator (typically). It you are talking about a color change (e.g., more orange or more yellow, etc.) then we can try and fiddle with that via the grains. Maybe take a side by side photo and we can go from there? Else, just give us some more descriptors...

I checked out that NB recipe and am surprised as well. My first thought is that that would not make a good clone, but who knows??? Maybe it is right on the money. I would love to try some of the clone...

Old 09-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #120
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for jumping in BK, eanmcnulty's post went right over my head!

I have a side by side shot I think at home. It was on my old phone so I am not entirely sure it transferred over. If I recall, SC was a little more clear then mine, but I felt mine tasted better so I wasn't going to mess with it. The description of SC says it's naturally cloudy, but that wasn't the case with the sixer I had... maybe the bottles had been sitting awhile?

I have a question, I only have 1 bottle left. However... this batch seemed to have a real funky sediment... almost brown/black like. I had a few friends accidentally pour this into the beer and it darkened them up dramatically. When pouring, it's almost like a dark funky cloud that hovers in the bottom of the bottle. Is this just the yeast? Didn't seem like it would be dark like that.

I think I am gonna brew this up again soon, same recipe... just more grain less extract. Does the recipe i listed above sound right? I'd be willing to alter the munich/vienna if you want.

Quick Reply